Trekking in the Jungle !!!

Trip Start Jul 24, 2011
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Three days, trekking in the jungle !  Staying in villagers huts... we have been warned... no running water... wash in the stream and toilets are, well behind a tree !
Omg what a lot to say and loads of more photos to upload but will have to wait a couple of days until I get back to Bangkok. Basically thanks to a tropical storm that blew in for the entire three days of trekking we are now soggy. Actually soggy is not the right word.
Day one
Two hour songatheu ride from chaing mai bought us to an elephant camp, then the downpour started, anyway we had lunch (no more rice please) and the downpour just about held off whilst we had the elephant ride. Ours was obviously out of "fuel" as before we set off our rider put a hosepipe into the trunk and filled up with 20 gallons of water ! Rachel and Helen driver sat smoking weed and was showing them extremely rude pictures on his mobile phone, stephe and Charlie had a party elephant with loud music and disappeared into the forest up a 25% slope and we did not see them again for another 20 mins. Ours had a 2 year old baby called Hannah that kept frisking Donna all over for food, baby trunk constantly attached to some part of her body ! We stopped for our driver to roll a new spliff and we took the opportunity to grab some bananas to ward off Hannah !
Then after a short ride the trek began, complete with rain. 3 hours later after all uphill via tracks no bigger than sheep tracks we arrived at our first village (actually 3 sheds) it was more like tenko, a shed, no facilities, pitch black and we were dripping. We had a wonderful half hour as stephe and Charlie show commenced as they tried to prepare sleeping arrangements in the pitch black whilst juggling mozzy nets and standing on everything going including hand sanitiser which promptly exploded. Just after tea, Sandra, Natalie and yami decided to bail out and they must have known what was to come the next day. We said our goodbyes with sorrow and Chai took them back to chaing mai, but we understand the next day when he returned their journey was not uneventful as their "truck" got stuck in the thick mud, 10 mins from the village. We understand that they arrived back in chaing mai hours later ! Bon voyage !
Day two.....
We woke up to the tropical storm (sorry folks to be continued as it's now 00:44 and I need to get to sleep. Will continue tomorrow !
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Andrea Hann (Rachel Curtis's Auntie) on

Really enjoying your blog, well done, Wishing you all, more of a great time. Andrea x

robinstride on

Will pass your regards to Rachel in the morning.... It's midnight here ! Thanks for the kind note re blog

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: