Last entry, back to Zwaanshoek, via Dublin

Trip Start Aug 04, 2012
Trip End Aug 26, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
In the plane and at home.

Flag of Netherlands  , North Holland,
Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The last day of the trip was a long one, if you include the flight and the time until we hit our beds.
We woke up at six, local time, and were on the road by 6.30. The roads were still quiet and progress was as fast as the law allowed, give or take a few mph. We drove through Rhode Island without stopping, 40 minutes to go across a whole state.  The nearer we got to the Big Apple, the busier it became. The George Washington bridge was under repair and a seven kilometre jam
crawled in front of it. We left the route that Katrina showed us and went through the Bronx, bypassing the jam. Sally’s home is just before the bridge. We dropped both the boys and the luggage there and then drove into town. Katrina works fine, but you have to give her the correct address. We only realised that when we could not find the rental agency. The system of one-way streets does not make it easier to go just to the next street.  We reached 43rd and found a queue in front of the agency. We were waved to park the car on the opposite side of the road. Then waved back, because we parked on the curb. At that moment a man asked for the keys. He had no badge or cap indicating that he worked for Budget. So I declined to hand over the key: I kind of suspected a scheme that has been played out in Kenya, the next thing you hear is screaming tyres, you will not even see the car anymore because of the cloud of burning rubber. But then a second  employee appeared to give his consent. Problem solved. After some paperwork we went through Grand Central Station, took the Times Square Shuttle and the A-line towards the northern tip of Manhattan. We got out and walked towards Sally’s. At the last traffic light we had to wait for... the very car we had just handed in. Clean, same type and make, same licence plate, without
doubt the same car, the one we had used until only 50 minutes before. Coincidence?

We sorted out all the luggage, some of the stuff we borrowed from Arleen had to be left, the rest had to be put in as few bags as possible. Ordered a taxi for the ride to JFK. But first we walked to a nice restaurant, Indian Road, corner of West 218. We passed the place where the Dutch allegedly bought the island of Manhattan from the Indians. Sampled one of the local beers and had good meals, all of us. Back by Metro, and then some talking and farewell hugs from two very kind hosts. Thanks a lot. The female driver took us through the dense traffic to JFK and we went through check-in quite good time. A spicy meal and a last Samuel Adams, Boston brewed IPA. Little sleep on the plane, whilst looking at “the Hunger Games”. Not an excellent movie, but I guess I did not figure out what the director intended. Maybe, like the goat said: ”the book was more palatable”.

A change of planes in Dublin, and at 13.40 Sunday we landed at Schiphol. Luggage took some time, the taxi was rapid, and the shower warm. Then we went into Amsterdam to meet some of Robert’s nieces that he had not seen for 30 and 40 years. Tanja and the boys had not ever seen
them before. It was a warm welcoming get together. Drinks at Wildschut, dinner at Restaurant As. We said goodbye at nine and were fast asleep at ten. The next day the holiday was over, the dog had to be collected and the office computer had to be switched on. End of travelling, end of this blog.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: