Day 103: Manchester Center, VT to Lula Tye

Trip Start Mar 15, 2010
Trip End Jul 23, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Vermont
Friday, June 25, 2010

So I'm back in my comfort zone: the woods! Ok so town is/was awesome, but everything is so busy and expensive. So many things to figure out, everything has a price tag, and time goes by so fast. The forest is the opposite, things are relaxed, free, and time seems infinite. Of course something could be done about the 300 mosquitos that won't leave me alone!

Enjoyed my breakfast this morning of bagels and cream cheese with bananas. It's not oatmeal, but it'll do. I settle my debt to the hotel and then roll out. I stop and also verify that my bank card situation is all resolved, and things are looking good.  I get to the main area of town and "Outside Dog" is already there trying to hitch. I join him and a lot of people drive past (about 30 minutes) before Sharon stops. She said she was actually just going to the bank, but felt like helping us out. We have a nice conversation about midwesterners versus east coasters. She is from Chicago, Outside Dog from Minnesota, and me from MI.  It's always fantastic when someone comes through for you with an act of kindness. It takes so many of those to add up to 1600 some miles. It would be nice if it was just me, but I've had help!

Hit the trail at about 9 and just into the woods is a cooler...with magic inside :) we eat a couple cookies and then start climbing. The mtn is 1700 up, but the top is a real reward with a ski area and look out tower. The view is impressive, gazing back at Stratton Mtn, Glastenbury Mtn and the other ridges makes the hiking seem productive.

The next climb up to Peru Peak is not nearly as enjoyable. There are many little tough ups and downs on the ridgeline and a lot of mud. And of course the summit had no view either...Lunch at the Peru Peak Shelter with "Valcurie" a long trail hiker with pig tails. Dare say I haven't seen many of those lately!

The afternoon is mostly uneventful except for a bridge being out. There are all these warnings posted and the detour (3 mi extra) outlined. But the word amongst the hikers is that it is easy to cross. Turns out to be true, didn't even have to get wet! The rock hopping just upstream does the trick and I'm on my way to my little nighttime home.

I didn't buy DEET in town and maybe I'm regretting that decision...I'll definitely be sleeping in my zipped up bag tonight and probably bug net over my head too. The whole shelter is whining with their bloodthirsty hovering.

Looks like my journal works again, hopefully it isn't too messy with the entries all out of order. It's hard to do all this from a little phone. I really hope that when this is all over that you will come back and take a look at my photos. They describe the places much better than my dull attempts at storytelling.
Hope all is well!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: