Life on the Ranch...

Trip Start Jul 26, 2010
Trip End Aug 17, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Oregon
Friday, July 30, 2010

Hi guys!
We last left you in Elma, before we left there we had our first experience of an American Post Office. We went in with some postcards and asked for them to be sent to England - silly us, we should have asked for postcard stamps...obviously!
We left here and drove down what was left of the West Coast of Washington. It is so difficult to navigate around here; in England there is at least some notice before an exit, here you get about 2 seconds!
We crossed over the Columbia River and took route 84 in Oregon in an easterly direction. We were aiming to be at the ranch in Fossil by 5pm - turns out there was a bit more driving than we anticipated and it didn't quite happen. We were literally driving in the middle of nowhere; at one point we discussed when we had last seen another human being, and we couldn't remember! Having driven for about 3 hours off route 84, we then found ourselves in Fossil. We drove down a small dusty road and saw the horse riders returning. We drove past and waited at the ranch. We were told to just make ourselves at home - the owners did not live in the house, so, everyone had it to themselves. We had absolutely no signal, or internet access - really in the middle of nowhere.
We chilled out in the evening, I (Neen) fell asleep at 9:10pm, and I am being told as I wrote this that Tiff took the opportunity to sit on the deck, collecting her thoughts and being at one with nature. I think she was wondering around the ranch looking for signal...but I'll let you decide.
Morning broke and Tiff woke to find she had not just one insect bite, not two, not even three, but 15(!) bites, which she is still itching now and is telling me they are the size of golf balls! LOL!
I myself just had the one, and that has stopped itching now :)
Breakfast was at 8:00am, and it was kind of a family affair. The owners came and cooked for us, and we all just hung around chatting....there was about 14 of us. First we spoke to Debbie for said I (Neen) did not have the look of a morning person and warned us about California - apparently it is far too liberal! Then we all sat down and had breakfast. Everyone was really nice and they were talking about life on the ranch, about looking after animals, and then they kept commenting on our accent (they love it out here-even when we go into McDs and stuff they say they love it!).
We left breakfast and got ready to go horse riding. As we were packing up, we got talking to a woman who was there with her family. Turns out they live in Seattle, used to live in San Francisco and are on their way to Las Vegas. We exchanged numbers, and they gave us loads of places to see in San Fran AND we are going to meet up in Vegas when we are cool! They are taking their daughter to college there, so they are kind of on a road trip of their own.
Anyway, we were getting ready for riding, and they gave us cowboy boots and a cowboy hat to wear. The guy that was taking us out was called Brian and was a real cowboy - he had spurs and everything!
The horses were lead up to a ramp, and we walked up to get on the horse. Tiff says she got on the horse and was just waiting for it to run off into the distance. I got on, and kind of hesitated, and Brian said with horses, you just got to go for it. With that he said lets go - no real instructions on how to 'steer' the horse. Tiff's horse just wanted to stop and eat all the time, and everytime another horse ran, mine copied it.
We went out for about 2 1/2 hours and Brian stopped and showed us loads of things, like native american camps and stones where they ground their seeds, and elk and coyotes - it was really cool, and we really were in the middle of nowhere. We climbed really high, and the way down was really scarey; if I had leant any further back I would have been horizontal with the horse.

We came back to the ranch and had to leave straight away. We drove for 8 hours, and have now ended up in Lincoln City. We are just packing up now, and neither of us can move; our backs are in agony from the horse ride. We have to make it to San Francisco tonight, so we are leaving in about 5 minutes.

Hey Dad, glad the cats are well, but I havent seen any stones stuff yet - we will probably come across more when we hit the cities.

Hey Mum, Hey Dad, hope you are both well. Having an awesome time, but unfortunately am yet to find a place ressembling the Bates Motel - the search goes on! There is so much food, I envision I will be about 2 stone heavier on my return.
Ema, I hope you have a great birthday, and you are having a good birthday party as we speak! I will definitely try and get Harry some converses...hope he is ok, and recovered from his high temp.
AND, I do appologise for the clothes I am wearing on the ranch...I really was going for the cowboy effect, and yes the fashion police may have got me for that one! :p

Speak soon
Neen & Tiff
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


mum and dad bain on

Great to hear about the ranch; sounds great fun. You both look like seasoned cowboys!
We are both fine; we have just had roast lamb. You won't eat it, so while the cat's away ........! It was delicious!
You both seem to be enjoying yourselves and have done so much in a week.
Keep safe, drive carefully, and have loads more fun!!!
Lots of love,
Mum & Dad xx

Justin on

Have fun in San fransico! You will love it!

Ema on

Thanks for the text this afternoon. The party was great, a bit stressful getting everything ready in time but it DIDN'T rain, and everyone had a good time (I hope) There was obvioulsy way too much food - and way too many cakes as per.....
Harry is ok, a bit unsettled at the moment, I think his back teeth are making an appearance, although that said he was as good as gold today and was running around like a lunatic until 7.30 when we finally left mums.

Loving the cvowboy look - and don't knock cowboy boots - they are a staple of my wardrobe.....

Tiff hope the insect bites get better - I know how you feel as I ended up in hospital on steroids in the US cos of my bites.......

Oh and Neen I made my the ounce....... 28lbs in 17 weeks....

Fran on

Everything sounds absolutely amazing- hope you are all recovered from the horse riding escapade! Enjoy the rest of your road trip =) xxxx

mick sally on

glad u had good time on ranch good photos of u both how far to san francisco hope its as good as the song take care ps cats fine my 50th soon here soon be in tenerife text me wen u get san fran

mick sally on

hi girls hope u both ok you really are having an adventure looking forward to more pics did tiff get kept in prison how is san francisco how tiff doing driving hope not speeding ha lots of love mum dad

Mum and Dad Bain on

Where's the next chapter, girls? Obviously having too much fun to find time to blog! It's like a soap cliffhanger; more news please.
Glad you're having a good time. Enjoy every moment and take care.
Still half the holiday to go.
Everything fine at home; nice and tidy! Miss you lots though.
Lots of love,
Mum and Dad xx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: