Trip Start Aug 28, 2008
Trip End Nov 06, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Tanzania  , Zanzibar Archipelago,
Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We had a two and a half hour ferry journey and another two hours in a little van on the now notorious African roads to get to the Northern beaches in Zanzibar but it was so worth it.  The sky was blue, the sea was blue and the sand was white and we had just about two full days to enjoy it at our leisure.  We were all pretty happy.  We stayed at the Sunset bungalows, literally on the beach.  We spent the first day and a half on the beach pretty much swimming and sunbathing.  I also went scuba diving.  It wasn't the most colourful of reefs to be honest but I did see a moray eel out for a wander and one of the biggest highlights - I saw a turtle!  First time ever.  I pretty much OD'd on fresh fish - when by the sea what else can you do?!  I tried lobster because it was very cheap but I didn't like it much.  I think I'm more of a fish and chips girl myself.  There was a telly in the bar/restaurant area so while the guys refused to move from there with the football on, us girls took a dhow ( a traditional wooden boat) to another inlet and had a girly night out.  It was really nice to have that time where it was not split between couples and singles and we all got on great.  Our tour driver, Richard, also tagged along because he wasn't particularly interested in English football, being from Namibia and so he was christened Rachel for the night.  I don't think he was too impressed when the name stuck through to the next morning.  We were pretty giddy and went for a midnight swim when we got back to our resort.  It was very refreshing!!! I'm impressed that some of the girls had completely forgotten their fear of sharks in the water... 

We headed down to stone town on our third day.  It's mainly muslim so we had to cover up which is quite difficult in this weather...  It was quite a bizarre place.  the buildings were very worn down and dirty, the streets were tiny and like a maze.  That night we headed to a posh hotel looking over the sea for an aperative and then to a local curry house for a not very traditional meal.  We then walked through the fish markets that night, rows upon rows of freshly caught fish, mainly on skewers ready to be cooked on the grill when you buy it.  I didn't try any myself but I was told it was very good.  The next morning we wandered around the markets, found our way to the local food markets and watched as people haggled for rice and meat and fish.  Being the spice island some of the girls decided to do some haggling of their own for some of the spices on offer. 

We had the dodgiest ferry ride back that afternoon.  The waves were absolutely huge.  They passed around sick bags after the first half hour.  I didn't even take any sea sickness tablets but had acupressure pads on my wrists which seemed to really do the trick.  I was glad I hadn't tried to eat lunch before leaving though!  One by one our group dwindled as people went out for fresh air.  We were very glad to get back to Dar and back to our lovely campsite by the sea there, although it was after dark again by the time we arrived. 
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: