'Hot red pony' exclaimed the lady ranger...

Trip Start Jun 15, 2013
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Montana
Thursday, August 15, 2013

...when she drove by my campsite in her ATV, as I was getting prepared to leave and head for Montana.  This, of course, was the perfect beginning of a conversation.  It turned out that she was a Camarro fan.  She had ordered a custom-made Camarro and had it delivered in three weeks, whereas the dealer had said it might take 5-6 months.  She asked if mine was a V-6 or V-8.  A guy had asked the same question the day before.  I'll have to check the dealer's contract to found out (it's a V-6, I found out).  But it has 306 hp.  The lady ranger and I talked for half an hour and covered a lot of subjects.  As a college student she went to Europe with her class.  Her teacher, a German theology professor, took them to Amsterdam's redlight district to see the women on display ('totally shocking.  I was an innocent Wyoming girl.')  He was also a ballroom dancer and showed her how to do.  She was afraid to step on his toes and flunk the class.  She and her husband had been to Vietnam.  The young people have no recollection of the war but the old ones do, she said.  An elderly gentleman said to her:  'You are welcome in our country but we will never forgive you.'  
At about this time my pc stopped cooperating. I had been getting messages that so many files were corrupted etc. etc., so I spent most of Tuesday trying to figure out what the problem was and to see, if I could solve it myself.  I did not seem to make any progress.  I checked the local phone directory and found a number of computer repair services in Billings, Montana's largest town (which doesn't mean much:  Montana has a total of 1 million inhabitants).  Wednesday morning I drove there.  The first guy on my list was not at home, so I went to the next one a couple of miles away:  Rimrock Computer Company.  The manager, Lindsay, was at her desk in the reception.  I explained the problem, and she said they would take it in and run some virus tests.  This would take one business day, so we agreed that I would return the next day.  According to the invoice this is what they did:  'Complete removal of viruses, trojans, worms, spyware and malware using manual direction and automated scanning [etc.]'.  A number of words have entered the English language or changed meaning, since I went to school!
Anyway, I'm getting away from my subject.  When was the last time that you visited Yellowstone?  When your parents took you there as a kid?  When you took your kids there?  Your grandchildren?  I bet most of my American friends have visited Yellowstone at one time or another. So, I'm not going to write a long report about what I did.  I will post some photos with comments and hope that suffices.               
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Andy Engel on

Pam has been there but I have not been. Your pictures have convinced me that it is a place I need to visit.

Did you get your computer fixed? Are you still getting strange messages about corrupted files?

Jack Van Ballegooijen on

My ex-wife Jo Ann and I visited Yellowstone in 1969 as I recall. I remember that because I had just purchased a new red Pontiac GTO, and we were taking it out for a "spin". I have great memories of the park, but one of the most vivid was of a buffalo. There was a crowd of us looking at this fairly large speciman lying in an open meadow. One of the guys decided he wanted some action shots of the beast and moved in for a closer photo op, all the while taunting and throwing things at the animal to set him in motion. Very shortly, the buffalo was incentivized to move, and when he stood up, he towered over his aggressor. He charged the man and knocked him down, and when the guy tried to get up, he knocked him down again. At the crowds urging, the man decided to lie still awhile, and I guess that was good enough for the buffalo. The lesson was: Let a sleeping buffalo sleep. It's still memorable after 44 years.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: