Attacked in the wild!!

Trip Start Feb 06, 2012
Trip End Apr 16, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Friday, February 24, 2012

Feb 23, 2012 
At sea -- cruising the Pacific Ocean
Feb 24, 2012 Brisbane Australia.

Brisbane is the capital of the Australian State of Queensland. Population is estimated at two million. Originally a penal colony, it is now one of Australia’s up and coming cities with a combination of Victorian, Edwardian and slick high-tech architecture and a string of sandy beaches. In summer it is broiingly hot as it is part of a subtropical region.Arriving in Brisbane. We had a quick breakfast then left for our nine hour tour “The Mt Tamborine 4WD Experience” -- an experience it was!  We got into mini bus type 4WD vehicles and headed out to the Beaudesert area where we embarked on an off road adventure along an original bush track built by pioneers. On the way had a ‘tea’ stop at a very attractive wedding venue. It was here they had converted a tiny old quaint church into a place where people could choose to get married and have their reception. We had the most delicious scones with clotted cream & jam and had a chance to stretch and walk around the grounds. Back to the vehicles  and on to the actual bush trail ---- At times it seemed straight up and other times it seemed straight down. Little time for pictures on this ride as time was spent trying to stay on the seat (even though we were seat belted in).We got to our destination and got out of the vehicles and  started on a trek through the rain forrest - the objective to be to get down to a beautiful waterfall. It was raining in the rain forrest (duh!) and we got a bit damp.  We had to traverse a few puddles but we had a guide and managed. The walk was worth it though and we saw some very interesting natural things on the way. Next stop was a BBQ lunch put on for us by some locals. As I got out of the us I noticed that my left foot seemed to be bleeding profusely and there was a big clot between two of my toes. It was odd as I didn’t remember hurting it on the walk. I went into the bathroom & started to clean it up --- a very small cut but lots of blood. I removed the clot with a bit of difficulty but did manage, cleaned my cut with hand sanitizer & went out to have lunch. When I was leaving the bathroom our cute young guide came up to me and said ... “ I hear you managed to pick up one of our friendly leeches on the trek!” YUCK!!!! Imagine how I felt --- no wonder the “clot” was hard to remove!!!! No problem though and I had no ill effects....other than visions of “Stand By Me “ popping into my head! I wish I had taken a picture!!
 Our lunch was another open air BBQ -- with lots of attention given to my experience. After lunch we had a whip demonstration followed by a boomerang demonstration. After each of these we were given the opportunity to volunteer to learn how to do each of these.....of course I was right up there -- first to volunteer & make a fool of myself --  I tried & tried to ‘crack’  the whip but just couldn’t manage but it was a few laughs. After I had been at it for a while others tried too (thay had a number of whips). J managed to get a couple of small cracks  -- really only one of the people who tried managed (he is a cop from New Jersey). The boomerang -- I SORT OF managed to do that after  NUMEROUS  tries. These are both really hard things to do.
On the way back the group stopped at a small boutique winery for a wine tasting. It was situated alongside a beautiful river that apparently has a couple of duck billed platypus residents. A few of us decided to forego the wine tasting and look for a platypus --- no luck -- but we did see a few turtles and fish.
One last stop before returning back to the ship --- we pulled off the side of the road and the guide took us just off the road to a clearing. It was quite smelly, but the guide gave us no hint as to what it was. When we turned the corner of the field and looked up in the trees there must have been about 300-400 fruit bats hanging from the trees. it was amazing!  We were in a small clearing surrounded by bats hanging in all the trees around us.These bats are about 12-18 inches in length and were all hanging upside down with their wings wrapped around them. Occasionally one would uncurl and take to flight - it was quite a sight. After spending about half an hour watching them we got back in the vehicle and headed back to the ship.


Feb 25th 2012 --- At sea -- cruising the Great Barrier Reef.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Gill on

Hi Kay, glad to have found you! Such fun to read about our day from a slightly different perspective, too.
Should say how brave you were with that leech experience, as well. To think, you cracked that whip with such energy even though you were "injured" ;-)

Sandy on

Hi Kay,
That's what you get for wearing sandals in the jungle.
There's lots worse there, just waiting for open toes.
Sounds like you two are having a wonderful time!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: