Day 47 - Wheels to Water (168 Miles)

Trip Start Jul 26, 2008
Trip End Sep 24, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Jason's House

Flag of United States  , New Jersey
Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I'm still out here. It's been a slow several days. I haven't done much riding and have been pretty much in one area. Let me give you the rundown on the past few days.

After my last entry it was time to prepare for Rally on the River, the bike event that Daniel is catering. He convinced me it is worth hanging around and attending it so I said "OK". Most of the stuff was packed so we headed out toward Sunbury PA to Splash Magic Campground, where the event was to be held. About 3 miles up the road I realized I forgot something so I had to turn around and go back. Daniel was driving his truck towing the Hot Dog Cart so I figured I'd be able to go faster than he was and catch up. I was right. We pulled in as it was getting dusk. Most everything was set up, including the tents.Daniel's neighbor, Wayne, came up the night before and set everything up. We set up the rest and spent the majority of the night around the pool. Most everyone arrived Friday and I met a few folks. Saturday sucked. It rained all day. All the bike events were changed and most of the day was spent doing biker contests on bicycles. That was funny but not what we would have liked.

Sunday everyone left so we just hung out and Daniel packed to go back to Harrisburg to work a few days until next weekend's continuation of the festivities. I met another biker, Jason Farr, doing a raffle of a motorcycle for handicapped lawyers. He was looking for someone to ride to New Jersey with him to help him move a boat he sold so I told him I'd go. I haven't been to New Jersey in awhile. We rode down Monday afternoon. On the way we passed through Delaware Water gap where there is a mountain that is shaped like an Indian Head. Unfortunately we couldn't see it well because of the heavy overgrowth. We did stop at Hotdog Johnny's. It is a famous local hot dog joint. The specialized in deep fried hot dogs and buttermilk. Now I don't know about you but I have never been able to do buttermilk, with or without hotdogs. I did opt for the birch beer. That is something I haven't had in years. It's similar to root beer.

After Hotdog  Johnnies, we continued on to NJ. We stopped in Perth Amboy to visit Jason's cousin who was a mechanic at a Getty Station. He was supposed to come help us with the boat later on. He was going to meet us at the beach house where the boat was docked. This was also where we intended to spend the night. The house is actually owned by a local magician who is a friend of Jason's father that runs a magic shop.We were only there briefly then continued to the beach house in Forked River, NJ. It's a great place and happens to be for sale so if you are interested, let me know. We checked on the boat and ordered a pizza while we waited for his cousin to show up. He never showed but that was OK. We hung out, ate pizza and chatted then called it a night.

We woke up today to a nasty looking sky. The radar showed crappy weather moving in so that  was not promising for any kind of boating activity. In any event we went and killed enough time eating breakfast to let the rain really get going. No sense in doing this the easy way. We jumped in the boat anyway after taking all the extra stuff off of it so it didn't go with the the new owner. We tossed off the mooring lines and shoved off. We jetted around the bay for 30 minutes or so and started toward the marina where we needed to dock. On the way in, one of the twin inboard engines overheated so we shut it down. One engine was more than enough to get us to the dock which was about 1/2 mile away. On the way in, the sound from the one functional motor changed and we started to smell something burning. This was a concern because we also saw smoke coming from the back of the boat. Now, remember when I said that we took off all the extra stuff from the boat? Some of that extra stuff was things like, life jackets, flair gun and, yes, you guessed it...... the fire extinguisher. Oh and id I mention that the radio didn't work so we really couldn't call for help other than using our cell phones. Thankfully we were close enough that they worked. We didn't need then though. We shut the engine down, opened the hatch and realized that the engine overheated and melted an exhaust hose. This was the reason for the smoke but there was no fire. I jumped into the captain's chair and fired up the other engine that had given us problems earlier and we used that to get us to the marina and dock the boat with no further incident.... other than the rain starting again.
That task finished, we went back to the beach house and chilled out for awhile, waiting for teh rain to quit. It finally did and we went and grabbed some food at a chinese buffet that was really pretty good. Now as I write this we are packing out bikes to head down to Atlantic City to try our luck down there for the evening.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: