Day 19 - Southbound (362 Miles)

Trip Start Jul 26, 2008
Trip End Sep 24, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Mary's Place

Flag of United States  , Colorado
Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Joe is still fighting his cold so I'm doing the writeup tonight. We spent the night at another Motel 6 and believe it or not with no incidents to report. Our room waqs on the third floor and extremely nice as the motel only opened in November. They still weren't even on the locator for our GPS. Great night sleep.
We have learned to cover our bikes each night not only because of the unpredictable weather but because we also don't have to carry our camping gear into our rooms. We just leave it on the seats when we cover the bikes and no one even knows its there.
Our goal today was to travel to Joe's friend, Mary's, home in Colorado as she graciously offered to have us visit with her and tour a little around her area before continuing on our way.
We decided to do as many miles as we could as quickly as we could as she was about 475 miles away. At 7:30 this morning it was only 51 degrees. As we loaded our bikes it started to warm up really quick. It was around 72 when we left. We grabbed breakfast at Joes favorite place. Denny's of course and made a beeline toward Colorado. Many gas stops later and around 3pm we stopped at a Subway for a 5 for 5. We chose the meatball sandwich. Joe had ice cream. I know none of my friend will believe this but I, Daniel, did not have any ice cream today. Even Joe couldn't believe that one. As we were leaving a little girl about 8 or 9 years old was watching her twin sisters while dad, mom and brother were ordering in line. She quietly said "Hey" to me and I said "What?" She said "Don't tell mom or dad  but I like bikers and yours are pretty". I quietly said "Thank you sweetie". And as we wee leaving the lot she had her sisters helping her to wave goodbye to us.
Joe and I pretty much were chased the whole way by major storms. They were to both sides of us and behind us the rest of the trip. Lightening and thunder everywhere. We seemed the luckiest bikers ever as we seemed to just be moments ahead of it all the way. We took a few sprinkles and some really bad bug hits. Man those grasshoppers are really big out here! They make an evil splat also. We had to clean our windshields off with every stop and our pants legs.
We stopped at a Kawasaki dealer to get another screw for Joes headlight. Yes, he lost the one to the other side now also. We swapped stories of the road with the guys there and got better directions to go around Denver. Along the road we were cruising really fast on S 71 to avoid going into Denver as it was coming close to the traffic rush and we would probably be stuck for a long time there. Anyway Joe hit a bump and his cell phone, with the GPS tracking on, bounced off the bike and on to the road. He said a few explicative's and we stopped as quickly as we could. We turned around, parked our bikes and started walking the side of the road looking for it. I kept calling the cell so we might be able to hear it ringing. No luck. Joe kept walking and finally found it about 1/2 mile from where we thought it was. It hit so hard the battery was thrown out and the bottom where all the plugs go was smashed. Joe worked on it and was able to MacGyver it back together so we could get going again. It worked almost all the way and he kept having to turn it off and on to keep it working. Joe said to let everyone know that if they tried to call or text him, they will have to wait until he get's it fixed, the GPS worked but everything else isn't so good.
Shortly after this we had the experience of viewing a double full rainbow. It had to be one of the most breathtaking expereinces of this trip (so far). The pictures don't come close to doing it justice.
All this time the storms were chasing us.  About 1/2 hour from Mary's home he had to change to an old spare battery in the hopes of getting us there. The only other thing we could do was hook my little cell Verizon LG up as it does have GPS for this trip except Mary's address and phone number was in Joe's phone. We did stop to take some pics of a herd of Bison and a double rainbow. (Hope they turn out so we can show you here)
We made it there in one piece and Mary prepared a wonderful home cooked meal for us of a grilled flank steak and veggies, home made potatoes a delicious salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, croutons, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. We were in heaven! She even had her hot tub waiting for us to enjoy. We did get to meet her daughter Nichole and we had a great dinner conversation with them. Joe had actually never met Mary before. They worked with each other over the phone for many years. He was extremely excited to meet her face to face.
All in all, not a bad day riding. Mary has a most beautiful home. Her gardens with the large fish pond are Zenlike. From her sunroom where we dined she said in the daytime you can see Pikes Peak. It was a very nice quiet evening with our beautiful hostess. Tomorrow we plan on touring the area on our bikes with Mary weather depending. The guest bedroom is calling.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: