Hong Kong Phoo-ey

Trip Start Oct 01, 2008
Trip End Nov 16, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Saturday, November 15, 2008

We had a potter around Ch'ch'ch, returned the hire car, climbed the cathedral tower, visited the botanical gardens and then off to the airport.

An hour flight to Auckland, an hour in the lounge and then 11 hours to HK. Our in flight entertainment packed up so we were reduced to sleeping for most of the journey.

Arrived in HK at 6am and made our way to Iain & Roz's. We shot out early and had some breakfast at Flying Pan, very nice. Then went and picked up my rent-a-tux.

Spent the day playing Scene-it and drinking G&T, yum. 

As evening came around, we gussied up, remembered that tying a bow tie is not as easy as you think. Then a short taxi ride and we were amongst Hong Kong's brightest young things at The Scottish Provident International & BritCham YNetwork Scottish Ceilidh 2008, doesn't that sound impressive?

The wine flowed freely, the "authentic Scottish" feel was a bit over the top (strange to see chinesemen in kilts, playing bagpipes, etc). The party frocks were pretty, the reels somewhat wobbly, but a good time was had by all. Official photos at http://www.britcham.com/asp/general.asp?MenuItemId=145. . My only disappointment was that my former travel companion wasn't still around, he would have been like a fox in a chicken coop

Today we rose with slightly thick heads and went for a walk over the Dragon's Back (from Tai Tam Gap to Shek O) where lots of folks were doing the same and then went for lunch at Big Wave Bay Beach, beers and pizza.

Now the calm before the storm of Oktoberfest HK and then we'll be off for London at 5am.

...aaand what a storm it was...

we took the star ferry across to Kowloon side, and then in the car park of the Marco Polo hotel we found a perfect recreation of Munich, well almost. There was a lot of beer and various unpleasantly treated meats, and some Bavarian carpenters and boilermakers making offensive noises from their "musical" instruments.
Needless to say I was verry verrry drunk.

Instead of taking the sensible option of going home after the German madness collapsed, we hopped in a cab and shot under the harbour, back to the island and went to the closing party of a bar owned by one of the CNN presenters who then plied us with free drinks. Ellie and I made an early departure and had a solid 2 hours sleep before heading back to the Airport and home.
Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
Iain Morris Homestay
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: