Beautiful Birdsong...

Trip Start Feb 17, 2005
Trip End Feb 27, 2006

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Thursday, October 13, 2005

I was fast turning into Charlotte's lucky charm, as we woke to a completely blue sky on Tuesday morning - absolutely perfect conditions for her proposed heli-hike. It was really hot too, with the temperature touching 20 degrees - another factor that vindicated my move up north, as the freezing Invercargill was still fresh in my mind!

While Charlotte went on her trip, I basked in the sun and got up to date with my journal. When the heat got a bit much, I went and gave Murray a call to make sure I could stay at Pacific Coast Lodge over Christmas and New Year. No problems, and I'm looking forward to going back up there, especially as I could her Keiko's familiar voice in the background saying "come back sooner!" A couple of weeks surrounded by friendly people and beautiful beaches sounds very nice...

I met Charlotte at 3pm, and she was thrilled with her experience on the glacier, so much so that she took 180 photographs in just 3 hours! I looked through them as we drove towards Hokitika, and it reminded me of what a great time I had there last time. I'm hopeful of doing some more nice walks around the glacier in a few weeks.

We stopped at some more lookouts during the 2 hour drive, the coastal route being just as impressive as the Great Ocean Road in my opinion.

We arrived at Birdsong, one of my favourite backpackers in New Zealand, at about 6pm. It is a spotless place full of character, and I get on really well with Neil, the owner. Charlotte adored the place and wanted to stay longer than one night, but it was closing for a week as Neil and Kerry were getting married on the Saturday.

Charlotte made us both chicken, mushrooms and pasta, before we headed to the beach for what looked like our third great sunset in a row. Neil had offered to give me a ride on his quad bike, so while Charlotte took pictures of the glowing skies, we went up and down the beach at speed, with Sid the dog doing an admirable job of keeping up with us...great fun!

We went back to the hostel via the Glow Worm Cavern, and then just relaxed on the bean bags in the colourful lounge area. It was very peaceful as we were the only two staying there, and I stayed up until 2.30am, before eventually retiring to my comfortable bed for a good night's sleep...
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: