Making our way south to the ferry to france

Trip Start Jul 23, 2012
Trip End Feb 03, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
Brecon Beacon National Park

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Sunday, August 12, 2012


The ferry trip went quite fast, I had a little sleep while Rhys filled in his time writing the diary. Donald was able to find a ride to Aberdeen with a mate who drives a truck so he was happy. We said our goodbyes to Donald and got ready to ride off the ferry. Made our way to Inverness without any drama's and drove along Loch Ness most of the way to Fort William. It was a beautiful ride along the Loch. Got into Fort William around 2000hrs and started to look for somewhere to stay, the clouds looked ominous so we tried a few B&B however they were all full so off to the campsite we went. We camped under Glen Nevis, a lovely campsite. Megan had packed us some salmon, crackers and other treats which was awesome as we couldn't be bothered going to look for food. 
Overnight it rained a lot! So it was a little wet packing up the tent in the morning however luckily the rain stopped for us to begin our day riding south to the Lake District.

We were thinking of doing a walk up Ben Nevis however the weather had a different plan for us! It was horrible weather so we just continued south. We had a little rain but nothing to worry about and there were many other riders on the road, which made us, feel a lot better. Rhys did a wonderful job navigating us around Glasgow staying away from the motorway and any major roads. Stopped for lunch in a small village just past Glasgow, we ate sandwiches in a park that was a welcomed break from the bikes and rain. On the bikes again and we headed straight for Windermere, the ride coming into the Lake District was beautiful; the rolling green hills with hedges cutting them up into squares. We decided to spoil ourselves at stay in a bed and breakfast as again the clouds looked ominous, found a cute little place in Grasmere just outside of Windermere. Had a long awaited shower then walked up to the local pub for dinner. It was a very long day of riding, we clocked about 280miles so with a full stomach we were buggered. Walked through the village home and wondered through the village cemetery, so many old graves! We both crashed as soon as our heads hit the pillow however were rudely awoken to Rhys' bike alarm around 2330hrs. It was raining so hard that it moved his bike and set off the alarm! It took Rhys and while to wake up and find his keys then he braved the rain to turn it off, in the end he disabled it completely as it kept going off.

The rain had settled by morning and we had a dry ride to Windermere where we walked around a little bit, went to the bakery and got a yummy fresh bacon and egg sandwhich and had a good chat to the locals. Found a map of  Great Britain and France which finally eased Rhys' anxiety, a little. 
We then made continued down to Wales, dodging the rain which was nice. We were brave enough to venture onto the motorway to cut 2hours off our Journey. I found it very daunting however after about 15mins I was getting use to the FAST traffic and rather enjoying travelling at 70miles/hr. We were able to bypass Manchester and Liverpool and got into Wales in good time. Had a rest in a Oswestry as we had been on the bikes for 2hours solid and Rhys' bum was beginning to hurt a little. It was a nice ride through the country further south to Llandovery. We stopped in a rest area so I could ring Alex for directions to his house, typical girl I was useless at following those directions and we got lost in his small village of Llandovery....we tried every exit point of the town but still were unable to find his road. I handed the reins over to Rhys and he was able to talk to Alex and find our way to his place. We had a pleasant evening catching up and meeting his parents. The weather was nice, rare for Wales at the moment, so we made the most of it and had a BBQ outside and drank a few beers. 

When we woke in the morning the rain had returned however we were adamant not to let it ruin our plans of going for a walk in the Brecon Beacons National Park. Alex and I packed a lunch and off we headed, getting a little lost on the way, Alex driving! We sat in the car for a while deciding whether to get out and walk or not as the rain was not letting up. It was a mutual decision to brave the rain and off we set. It was a lovely walk up the hills, we were soaked within about 10minutes but luckily it wasn't cold so we continued up. Made it to a memorial of a small boy who died on the hills many years ago and decided this was the top as the weather was getting worse and you could not see the top of Pen Y Fan. Had a quick lunch and made our way down, Rhys wanted to catch some sheep, unsuccessful but gave it a good crack. Attempted to dry off when we got to the car then drove home for a hot shower and some soup. Spent the rest of the afternoon around the house trying to dry off all our clothes and shoes. Barbara cooked us a yummy dinner then Alex, Rhys and I headed into town for a pint of the local beer. Peter and Barbara joined us a bit later drove us all home. 

The sun had returned the next morning for us to start our journey further south, Barbara cooked us a great big breakfast then we said our goodbyes. We were dry for about 1hr before we hit some horrendous rain as we entered the motorway near Bristol! We stopped at a petrol station to put on some wet weather gear and prepare ourselves for more rain. Megan happened to ring us during this procedure and was kind enough to tell us there were severe weather warnings down our way....Finally we got back on the road and well the wet weather gear was pretty much useless. The rain was bucketing down and visibility was not the best, I had a little girl moment and told Rhys often I didn't like riding in this however there was nothing he could do as we were on the motorway and couldn't stop. I finally spotted blue sky ahead and this gave me a little hope, I told Rhys who didn't really respond the way I thought he would. 5minutes later Rhys excitedly pointed out the blue sky ahead....his visor had only just de-fogged and he could see again!
Just before we turned off towards Axminister the weather cleared up and we began to dry off. We stopped at a rest area for me to call Victoria for directions and as I took off the wet weather covers for my panniers about 1lt poured out - my stuff was wet again!
Made it to Victoria's house, a beautiful thatched roof cottage and put our clothes on the line then headed into Seaton for fish and chips on the beach (stone beach). It was great to spend the afternoon with Victoria. When it was time to jump on the bikes again to ride to Plymouth the rain decided to return so we had a very WET ride to Plymouth. Rhys was great in getting us to the hotel, only needing to ask one local for directions. No point drying off as we needed to walk to the pub only 5minutes down the road. Had yummy curry and guiness for dinner then ran home.

It was still raining in the morning when we rode to the ferry terminal, didn't have to wait to long before they let us board. We found some comfy seats at the front of the boat and settled in for the 5hours ferry ride to Roscoff. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Susan Nauman on

Now we know why the UK is so GREEN!

Loz on

Lach will be super stoked to hear you went to Oswestry! Hopefully some more sunshine and blue skies for you both xx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: