Last Week or So In Bali

Trip Start Nov 27, 2012
Trip End May 08, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , Bali,
Sunday, February 17, 2013

As more people left and a few more came for the last leg, it felt unreal that the month was over. We definitely made the most of the last week and a bit though.  Keith, Tara and I headed up to see katut one day to go white water rafting and oh wow was it worth it.  On the way there Keith and I got pulled over on my bike and Tara on hers.  Tara paid $20 because her International Driving License doesn't have a motorbike on it.  And they told me that I stopped in the crosswalk, didn’t have a license and didn’t have registration and because that was 3 offences they would have to impound and keep my bike. Needless to say I was a bit rattled.  The credits had run out on my phone and I didn’t have the number to call the villa, so I walked to the gas station and used the kids phones to call katut who said he could be right there.  A half hour has gone by and I don’t know what to do so I walk back to the police on the corner and tell them that my friend Katut is going to be here right away and hopefully we can work things out.  The police clarified that I had a local coming there and said they would give me a break… the corruption is out of control. They told me that my ticket for no license is $50, no insurance is $100 and stopping in the crosswalk is $100.  Basically they are three tickets for being white (which is questionable if you get a good look at me).  However, because it was 3 offences they had to keep my bike.  So I asked what I could do to get my bike back and they said pay the $250.  I said that I am a poor backpacker and cannot afford that much so he said how much.  I said I could borrow $50 from my friends but I had nothing on me (I had about $350 on me and didn’t want to pull out my wad).  He said okay and I walked over to Tara and Keith who handed me money.  It is unbelievable and frustrating how crooked the police are there.  They pull over every white person and shake them down no matter what.  The locals said that it is ridiculous that they spend no time fighting crime and only hassling tourists who are the only reason for the stability in their economy.  We waited for Katut at the gas station.

When Katut arrived he was upset at the corruption of the police and two hours later we can finally hit the rapids.  We follow Katut through an area like I have never seen before.  Untouched rainforest and a large river surrounded us as we drove to the drop site.  It is impossible for me to describe how beautiful it was but in all my travels I have not seen any piece of nature that made me step back like this.  The rafting was mediocre as far as the rapids are concerned, but my god the scenery.  We were surrounded by hundreds of feet of cliffs of dense rainforest and midnight black rock.  We cruised down the river overcrowded with hanging vines, hundreds of waterfalls and nothing but the sound of the rapids.  We stopped at one point to go in this waterfall and free flow down the river.  Then again we stopped for some small cliff diving.  When it was over the three of us could not believe what we had just seen.  We paid for Katut to join us and he looked like a kid in a candy store.  This man is in his late 40s with a 21 year old son and still has the heart and excitability of a child.  What a beauty.  Oh and Keith and I got shook down on our way home for another $20 because the cop didn’t like my helmet.  Our matching tanks that said Kiss me katut and Katut is Mine probably added to us being a target… a couple of Bules… haha.

We spent most of our last days surfing and drinking by the pool.  One afternoon we all headed to Potato Head, which is the nicest bar I have ever seen.  It is pristine with a long private beach and high-end everything. Dave was not allowed in with his branded shirt so he bought the only shirt from the shop there that was less than $120 dollars… $40 later and he was geared up.  This day escalated in a pattern of excess.  First it was bottles of booze and punch bowls of Sangria.  Then it was a lavish spread of food, Cuban cigars and more bottles.  I forgot my trunks so Dave gave me these tiny ones he had and he went in his speedo.  The day got out of hand and was one of the most fun days I can remember.  We then headed to another lavish bar for drinks and dinner and walking on the beach.  Then we headed to Semnyak to the Obsession bar, as it closed the only other thing available was the gay bar.  There may or may not have been a few of us on stage with the male strippers shirts optional.  That is all I will say about that and it will forever be burned in all our memories.  This was one of the most fun and funniest nights/days of my life.  Thanks crew for experiencing the ridiculous with me.

The next day, four of us headed in to Kuta.  We had a blast in the car pumping the tunes and only stopped driving around because we were so hungry.  We went and ate at Sky Garden then went shopping.  I picked up a Messi jersey and traded my MacBeth hat for a Jamaican one with some dude on the street.  We didn’t feel like going all the way back to get the guys so we sent the cab driver home to get them with a note that said for them to meet us at Alleycats, which is an awesome backpackers bar outside.  We went and had some shisha at the Surfer Bar and the live band let me sing with them some G&R which was awesome then we headed to the Alley.  We were sitting there for an hour or so thinking the crew was no shows and they walked in.  We started cheering so loud (alcohol assisted) and the whole bar was looking.  We then noticed that they were all wearing the shirts and towels that we sent home… they thanked us for the evening wear and the night progressed…. I mean escalated.  Obnoxious drinking games ensued until Alleycats shut at midnight.  Then we headed to a Karaoke bar.  We got a private room and belted out tunes for a couple of hours.  Back to back amazing nights. 

We kinda wound down after that and prepared for our next Journey.  Headed with Cory to the Airport at 630 am to get to Singapore then Qatar then Greece.  Saw some of my closest friends, made some absolutely amazing new ones and so many memories that will be with me forever… so many laughs.  I am so excited for the next chapter of my journey and to go home to Regina with some newly close buddies.  Cheers guys… Dangerous, you know she’s a little bit Dangerous. She’s got what it takes to make ends meet .." the anthem we put on repeat every night out. So fun.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: