A Quick Learning Curve!
Trip Start Apr 15, 2010
97Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Mt Schank Picnic Area
1) When you plan to leave early, it never happens. It was 3pm before we drove out the driveway at Nhill
2) The poor car does not like a headwind at all!
...I will continue with this list later...
Today we left Nhill and drove through the Little Desert to cut down to the border of Victoria and South Australia. We were bitterly disappointed that there was not a big sign saying that we were crossing the border, as we would have liked to take a photo :( We continued driving and arrived in Mt Gambier at dusk. We had forgotten to fill up with water before we left Nhill and thus learnt our next lesson
3) Always fill up with water when you can - preferably not from the tap around the corner from the Mt Gambier police station (as Joel nearly attempted to do before I talked him out of it)
We drove a further 20 min and found our camp spot in the dark, and set up for the night. We were pleasantly surprised to wake up and find a picturesque view before us, and even more surprised to find that we had slept on top of a volcano!!
4) We also learnt this morning that our 'toaster' literally takes 20minutes to cook toast. The gas won't last long if we keep this up!
5) We will need to get up early to beat the grey nomads. We were just out of bed when they rolled in, set up their van, hung out their washing and were set for the day!
We drove back into Mt Gambier after climbing to the top of the volcano and visited the Blue Lake, which by all accounts is remarkably blue, before heading off to our next stop