Hanging in there
Trip Start Unknown
32Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
This week has been a bit of a roller-coaster ride of emotions! After putting in the application for the apartment, Matt's work said that instead of paying his relocation allowance immediately it wouldn’t be paid until 21st December. Which made it a bit hard to find almost US$14 500 for initial rent, double security as we have no US credit, pet bond and our share of the broker’s fee…
So we had to withdraw the application. :-( We were really excited about the apartment, so this was a real blow. In the end we thought that maybe it wasn’t meant to be and would probably be easier and allow us to explore and travel more if we find something a bit cheaper. The next day we got a call to say that they could proceed with the application if we were willing to wait to move in until the funds cleared later in December. I had already found two other places with a garden/ courtyard (that we’re looking at on Sunday) so we decided not to continue with the application.
Matt’s hasn’t had a great first week – straight onto a really difficult project and working late nights already… You’d think they’d give him a week to settle, find his feet and get over the jetlag!
Last night (Friday) we had dinner at Katherine (a colleague of Matt’s) and Dave’s penthouse apartment overlooking Central Park. Nice end to a rather horrible week. :-) I’m finding the NY taxi rides a bit nerve-wrecking! As I’m not used to sitting in the back of a car it makes me feel a bit sick and the frantic-race-slam-on-the-brakes-weave-from-lane-to-lane doesn’t help either!
Saturday and Sunday
Matt’s social security card arrived on Friday so we were able to open a bank account on Saturday. Matt was really surprised that the card is a flimsy piece of paper with no photo! The train line in our area wasn’t working this weekend (maintenance) so we did A LOT of walking! After opening the account we headed into Manhattan. It was so busy – people shopping everywhere! We were going to look at a few furniture places as we need to replace a few things we left behind, but also needed to pick up some things from Matt’s work. It took us two hours to get home due to having to take different lines and walk a fair way so we just got takeaway and vegged out Saturday night!
Matt had to work most of Sunday. His one boss said to him, "I hope you get to explore some places with your wife this weekend." And then bombarded him with e-mails and things he had to do all weekend! Hmmm…
We looked at three apartments on Sunday afternoon. The first was great – two bedrooms, backyard and quite big, but as we were walking there Matt and I both got quieter and quieter as the neighbourhood got a bit scarier and scarier… Not terrible, terrible but not nearly as nice as other areas closer to the bridge. Courtney, our broker, really wanted to show us a place on 6th Avenue. We weren’t too keen because the owners live above you and we are bringing 3 cats not 1… But as we walked in it was pretty cool and in a GREAT spot. Only one bedroom, but with a huge kitchen and large living area so I’ll be able to set up a working area and with space for a fold-out couch for guests. :-) The yard’s great – nice and big. Working on a solution for the 3 cats situation! So we’ve put in an application and will see what happens… If we get it we'll move next weekend and live camping style again until our container arrives.
This week and most of next week will be pretty crazy for Matt but hopefully after that we’ll be able to send more exciting posts of adventures and explorations!