Spirit of Hervey Bay

Trip Start Sep 21, 2012
Trip End Oct 27, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Big 4 Point Vernon

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hervey Bay Day 34

Today I was up bright & early again. I was too excited about going whale watching. So I had time to hang out the clothes & wash the dishes which I didn't get around to last night before I fell asleep.

The bus picked me up from the caravan park at 7.30am. We picked up about 20 other people on our way towards the boat. Spirit of Hervey Bay. This boat is huge 5 levels of viewing. I headed straight to the top. I was the only silly person up there.

The trip across the gap between mainland & Fraser Island was windy, choppy & the boat was rolling from side to side. After a while I decided to head to the lower deck till we reached calmer water. When we were close to Fraser Island the water was calmer & it was time for morning tea. Coffee & cake. I  sat on the 2nd level at the front. The waiting game was now on. After about 30min we spotted our 1st active male whale but unfortunately in the distance. I could see him better through my camera lens zoomed in & boy was he active about 3 or 4 breaches in a row then some fin slaps. Unfortunately when we finally arrived close to him he disappeared for about 10mins. Then he was quite just swimming peacefully. We stayed with him for about 30mins but he kept on disappearing. So the captain decided to head back to a mother & calf he had spotted previously. I headed up to the top deck. Only a handful of people braved this deck.

This was a fantastic choice the calf was feeding on milk when we arrived to where they were so was coming up & going back under. Apparently the mother squirts the milk into the water & then the calf drinks it up. Calves grow 80kg a day. After the calf had finished eating he got really active lots of tail slapping rolls & heaps of great activities fantastic for us to watch & photograph. We stayed with them for about an hour. It was so rough here in the water we had to hang on for life. The wind was blowing a gale, we were rocking from side to side, back & front, but it was worth it. One arm was braced around the balustrade the other holding tightly to my camera & my feet planted firmly as could be to the ground, to try to stabilize myself.

We left them alone, went closer to shore & had lunch, chicken, ham & salads, yum. After about 20mins the captain had spotted another active pair so headed straight out & I headed straight upstairs again. I saw a another breach in the distance but once again when we got there all the activity had ceased & they were just happily swimming along, another mum & calf. I got some great tails this time but as the tail goes up you know they are going deeper under water for a while so you have to be patient & wait. We then headed back home. I headed down to the 2nd level lounge to get out of the wind, a lot of very seedy looking people here. I guess not everyone has sea legs.  What a great day. Apparently this was a very slack day of whales. The season is supposed to end on Sunday so not many whales left in the bay but very awesome day for me.

Jay took the kids into town. They saw a whale tail in the middle of a roundabout. They went to an aquarium & patted some sea turtles. Walked along a huge wharf & tried to have a fish. They said they also had a good day,
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: