Wilpena Pound

Trip Start Sep 21, 2012
Trip End Oct 27, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , South Australia,
Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wilpena Pound Day 10

Woke up at 6am. I had the best sleep I've had in a long time, must be all this fresh air. Jay left at 7.30am to head into Hawker for 2 new Tyre's. Had a really lazy relaxing morning. Updated my computer & charged my batteries over at the BBQ areas as van has no power.

Went for a very short walk up to the reception area to get the bistro menu then went for a walk to the Bistro & resort area to see how far away it was. There was a little wallaby & its mum munching on grass out the front. So cute but left the camera back at the van.

Jay finally got the 2 Tyre's fitted at 12.30pm after waiting 4hrs for the guy to return, a whopping $760, ouch for the budget.

Had a bite of sandwiches for lunch. Bella spent the morning in bed sleeping as she was feeling ill.

We left at 2pm to do a 8km hike to Hillside Homestead. It was a lovely walk through huge towering ghost gums. Red towering cliffs along the pathway. We came across a little billabong with reeds lining the edge, red cliffs behind & ghost gums. The walk was only slightly on the incline. A kookaburra was spotted laughing in a gum tree. A couple of grass trees grew along the edge of the track. Some goats were also spotted in the distance. Behind the trees we saw our 1st couple of wallabies.

At the Hillside Homestead we saw a goat with a cute kid munching on the grass. I saw an emu in the distance so quickly walked over to where she was, running around her were 6 little stripey chicks I followed them for awhile taking photos. When they left I realized my camera was left on monochrome oh well the strips will stand out more.

We then saw a walk up the side of the cliff so headed up over rocks up, up & up. I made it to the 1st lookout spectacular view over Wilpena pound 180o around. Jay, Bella & Braiden went further up to the next look out. I made it 3/4 up before I had a coughing fit, Jay had my water so I went back down with dad & drank some of his water. The others made it to the top & said it was a 360o view of Wilpena Pound. Bella took a photo to show me.

We then headed back home. On the way back we came across a couple more wallabies munching on grass peacefully. Then a couple of emus strolled across the path in front of us. We saw a cute tiny little white & black bird with a bright red chest & beak.

We arrived back at our camp at 4.30pm. A great scenic walk & not too difficult.

At 5.30pm we headed to the bistro for a bite to eat. We walked there, about 10min. Five wallabies & one little joey were munching on the grass out the front of the bistro. We ordered then ate tea whilst we watched the Bulldogs being slaughtered by the storm.

On the way walking back, the moon was in front of us. I have never seen such a huge bright moon so close to earth before. Its another cool night tonight so we're all heading to bed early.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: