On the Water

Trip Start Sep 23, 2011
Trip End Dec 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Raft House
What I did
Big ass Lizard, Hornbills, Caves, and an old tree.

Flag of Thailand  , Surat Thani,
Tuesday, October 18, 2011

After the taxi ride to the dam and getting rejected from buying some rum and not knowing why (found out they don't serve before 11am) we're finally on the 1 hour boat journey to our raft house. Seems like a good bunch of people with us, another English couple bit of a small world that they live in Elgin where Elle was born!! A couple of ladies from Germany and 2 blokes from Holland made up the group.
First impressions of the lodgings were... mixed, Elle was slightly worried about all the holes that the bugs could get into!
We had a swim whilst waiting for our first trek into the jungle and a bit of lunch which was really nice especially being cooked on a floating kitchen! Then it was time to go into the jungle, we hopped on the long tail just round the corner from the raft house, parked onto some reeds we had to wade the rest of the way in, well me with Elle on my back!!
Good bit of walking threw the jungle our guide "A" (pretty easy to remember) seemed like a cool guy was spotting and hearing all the animals and insects, and making some pretty good impressions too. After walking a few kilometers threw the jungle and the occasional stream we got to our destination, the cave that we would be going into.
It's a shame we didn't take the waterproof camera with us as we had to swim a bit in the cave and couldn't go too far as the water gets too strong, so we didn't want to take the normal cameras in with us. The cave was cool though, lots of stalactites and stalagmites shame there was no bats though I like watching Elle squirm!! Haha! On a more serious note though we found out after, that the guides friend and 6 tourists died in the cave some years back and that is why they don't go any further any more, fancy telling us afterwords!
We headed back to the boat and then back to the raft house, a few hours to kill till dinner we went kayaking, just the 2 of us exploring the rest of the huge lake.
I haven't really said much about where we actually are so here is a quick explanation, its a huge man made lake the result of a dam which provides the provinces electricity. It was built in 1982 if I remember correctly and the communists tried desperately for it not to be built by fighting with the army and planting bombs, there is a few caves that communist students lived in as well. Lesson Over.
We were paddling around as the 2 ladies stayed behind whilst we went to the cave said they saw some monkeys not too far away. We didn't manage to see them but heard them fleeing once the heard us! As we were about to turn back home, I spotted something bobbing along, one of the guys from the raft was out fishing so thought he went for a dip but looking about a bit more I saw him in his boat, so we decided to take a closer look. On getting closer Elle started to panic as it started to look snake like and the size of it's head was huge! With Elle shitting herself and wanting to turn back I wanted to wait till it got out of the water to see how big it was, and I was having second thoughts and thought it may be a lizard. So after convincing Elle that it can't smell us downwind and that it might not be a big ass snake we watched it swim from one island to another but the bloody thing didn't get out, must of known we were there. Elle did freak out then so said to me we should go, after another few seconds at looking at it I turned round to see Elle about a mile away!! She could row for GB if she had a snake behind her!! We found out when we got back that it was a lizard as a snake would have been much faster and moved differently to what i described.
Dinner was really nice, grilled fish from the lake we was on and my fav Massamam. We learns how to play bastard also so spent the rest of the night playing that and bullshit.
After a sort of good nights sleep, no getting eaten by snakes or lizards just loads of ants on the bed (Elle shoving a sweet wrapper in the side of my bag, cheers bubs!) 
We had breakfast and it was time to leave the raft house, then onto another trek on the way home. This one was a bit more vigorous than the day before, a very steep climb up more or less a mountain, good work out as missing the rugby training (don't want to be coming back chubby!). We got to the top to look at a tree. A 1000 year old tree, a big massive tree, but a tree non the less which was a little bit not worth it, but hey ho, do what you gotta do and all that. We got back down had some lunch, then dropped back off to the dam to make our way back to the park.
Back at the park after saying our goodbyes to the group we quickly got back to morning mist and got our bags as we decided to go straight to Krabi on the public bus, which are not too bad a/c maybe a seat together but its cheap! The bus was going at 4.30 and it was 4 so a quick dash up the road and we still had 20 mins, so waited around at the bus stop. When it got to 4.50 we started to get worried so went and asked at the taxi/info stand at the top of the road where all the accommodation is, they said that the bus can be up to half an hour early and doesn't hang around. So at 5.15 we gave up, we worked it out that we didn't want to spend another night at the park and that it was too expensive to get a taxi to Krabi so got one to the nearest beach side town. Khao Lak. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: