Bergen - the resting place of Grieg

Trip Start Jun 15, 2007
Trip End Jul 10, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Norway  , Western Fjords,
Friday, July 6, 2007

Got up early today to start the usual housekeeping - washing so our clothes will be clean when we get home, email checking to see how the children are.  

We organised ourselves at a leisurely pace then went out on deck to look at Bergen.  We enjoyed watching the working dock - particularly the crane on wheels that manouvred and moved the containers as if they were matchboxes.

It was a hot day (25 degrees C) - so we sat ourselves on the shady side of the ship, looking at Bergen, watching the cement works and snoozing on and off.

We had a light lunch at the Pavillion and then went ashore to board one of the three coaches going to Edvard Grieg's house.  We did a tour of Bergen on our way to a Stave Church, where I found firstly that our ship's escort came from Wagga - then when Tom joined in we found she actually came from Galore (where Tom's parents used to own the general store)!!!  She's working as a nurse.  

The Fantoft stave church, in a lovely leafy setting (which goes by the name ‘Paradise’) south of Bergen, was built in Sognefjord around 1150 and moved to the southern outskirts of Bergen in 1883. It was burned down by a Satanist in 1992, but it has since been painstakingly reconstructed. The adjacent cross, originally from Sola in Rogaland, dates from 1050. 

On our way to Grieg's house we found out that Edvard's grandparents were from Scotland and their surname was "Gregg".

We had a wonderful piano recital although they played none of his works that we were familiar with. I bought a CD with the Holberg Suite and lyric pieced on it, as well as a fridge magnet and a postcard of his house (one of the front windows is currently broken and boarded up, so it won't look good in the photos).  After the recital we toured through the main level of his house, saw a photo of his only child (who only lived for 13 months) and his wife.  Then we trekked down to the fjord where there was a bench overlooking the water, and the tomb where he and Nina were laid to rest.  

After that it was time to walk back through the wood to the coach and return to our ship.  When we arrived on board they had tax officials who were refunding people's VAT - we got 10 pound back!!

Tom went up on deck to watch the sail away while I rested before dinner.  Tonight we had the "Baked Alaska" parade, which is always quite a spectacle.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: