Change of scenery

Trip Start Sep 07, 2011
Trip End Sep 06, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ecuador  , Galapagos Islands,
Monday, August 6, 2012

I got up this morning at 7.45 am to say goodbye to Mel. I was also leaving today, but to go to another island.

I popped down to the bank in the morning as I had to make sure I had enough money with me as Isabela Island does not have a bank or an ATM.

The boat taking me across to Isabela was leaving at 2 pm so I had to be at the port with my bags at 1.30 pm.  The journey over was going to take about 2 hrs.  I sat up on top deck with El Capitan, but little did I know I was sat on the wrong side of the boat.  When I climbed up, there was already a woman (local) sat up there and she was in my way.  Instead of moving over to the other seat, she just moved her legs slightly so that I could climb over.  I thought to myself cheeky cow and after the boat ride over, I now know why she didn't move.  The left hand side of the boat was the side where the wind and waves where heading so every time we hit a big wave, guess who got wet.  Cheeky cow indeed.  I had to pay $25 to travel and I bet she paid next to nothing.  I’m not falling for that coming back over, I will stay downstairs in the shelter.

The other thing that annoys me is that when the boat moors up, the river taxis come to pick you up.  In Santa Cruz, it cost 50 cents, here it costs $1 and yet again, the locals don’t have to pay!  I gave them a filthy look.  Why do they think that Gringo’s are made of money.  I certainly am not! 

The last time I came to Isabela, on the day trip, we had to pay $5 for walking along the pier (essential to get on land).  I had kept my ticket as there was no way I was paying another $5 to use the pier.  Good for me as I showed my ticket and they ushered me through.

I had already prebooked my hostel and I walked into town with some of the others from the boat as they didn’t want to pay for a taxi.  I didn’t really want to walk as my bags are so heavy, but I thought what the hell, it’s a good workout.  One of the couples decided to check in to the same hostel as me so we ended up spending the afternoon together, walking around the tiny little town, looking for a supermarket and also somewhere to eat.

I ended up going to bed at about 10 pm as I was tired and pretty cold from getting wet on the boat earlier that day.  I plan to get up early in the morning to go around all the tour agencies to find out what I can do from here.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mama on

Not a good start to the trip darling, especially after Mel leaving. Hopefully you will meet up again in the near future.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: