These legs are made for walking!

Trip Start Sep 07, 2011
Trip End Sep 06, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Have no clue

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Friday, July 6, 2012

We got up at around 8 am this morning as we wanted to head off early enough on our trek so that if I had any problems, it would still be light by the time we got back.

By the time we were ready and had breakfast, I think it was around 9.30 am by the time we set off. The first part of the walk was walking to the end of the north side of the island (where we were staying), to see some Inca ruins and also a sacrificial table and sacred rock.  The Island of the Sun is apparently the legendary Inca creation site and the birthplace of the sun in Inca mythology.

I think we missed a lot of the Inca ruins as so much looks like ruins anyway that it was hard to tell and there are also no signs telling you where all these things are.  We did find the sacrificial table so we had to do the silly poses of being sacrificed

It was going to be a slow walk around the island as there were a few steep hills and we are at 4000 metres above sea level.  It was so hard to breathe up there and hard to try and walk on a slight incline, let alone a steep hill.

After a 3 hike and taking in some breath taking views, we got to the south part of the island.  We could have stayed here, but we had been told by others that it was better to stay in the north side of the island.  There were lots of hostels and restaurants here, much more to choose from than the north, but the hill you have to climb was so steep, I'm glad we choose the north.

We found somewhere to have a drink and a snack and myself and Tom had decided that we were going to get the boat back as we didn’t fancy that trek again.  Beck and Surya wanted to walk back so we said good luck to them and headed on down to the port.  We were told that the last boat back to the north would be around 3 pm.  We got down to the port at around 2.30 pm to make sure we had plenty of time and not to miss it.  We went to the ticket office to buy a ticket each and we were told there was no boat back to the north and that only private boats were available for 250 Bolivianos (25 pounds).  Not a chance.  A few boats moored up and we asked if they were heading north which they said no.  Tom went and asked again and he was given the same response.  I was a boat moor up and told Tom to go and ask.  He then got hounded by another guy telling him there were no boats to the north, and typically, that boat that moored up left and headed north.  We were so angry and annoyed.  They obviously just wanted to rip us off and take our money.

In the end we had no choice, we had to walk back and we needed to get a move on before it got dark, as some of the paths could be quite dangerous and with no light, not a sensible idea.

It took us about 2 hours to walk back.  It was slow and strenuous and I can’t believe I made it.  We had to make several stops on the way as we were exhausted and also because Tom had a really bad upset stomach.  We had to stop on the pathway whist he did his business and unfortunately, he really did have a bad stomach and the noise that echoed around will stick with me for the rest of my life.  I could not stop laughing, it was so hilarious.  Sorry if you think it is disgusting, but it just put a smile on both of our faces as we really were exhausted and didn’t want to walk any further.  I think in total we must have walked about 25kms.  At that altitude, that’s really good.

The girls got back about 20 minutes before and wondered where we had got to.  They thought it was so funny that we had to walk as we were adamant that we were getting the boat back.

We all had a quick shower before heading out for some dinner.  I got really cold as I had the sun baking down on me during the day and at night the temperature drops dramatically and I got a chill.

We got to the restaurant and ordered our food, which was taken by a young girl.  When we looked out into the kitchen, there were only children in there, no adults so we quickly cancelled our order and went next door.  We managed to get a table in there and our order was taken by a 6 year old.  I ordered a coffee and was told no more hot drinks.  Not sure why as there were plenty of tea bags around.  Becky ordered chicken and was told there was none, only trout or omelette.  She then wanted something different other than tomato soup as tomatoes make her sick.  Only tomato soup available.  It was the funniest and worst meal ever.  We ate our food as quickly as possible and came back to the hostel for an early night.  We are all really shattered and to be honest, can’t wait to get off the island tomorrow so we can have some normal food and drink hot drinks!

A really good day and a beautiful island, but one day is long enough.  The other great thing about the island is that there are so many animals.  There are more animals than people.  Cows, sheep, pigs, donkeys, cats, dog etc.  And they are all just roaming around.  It’s just a shame that the local people do not look after them and treat them as we do back at home!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sue Coleman on

Certainly make good use of the children!! No wonder there were no hot drinks. I expect this will be one of the funniest places to look back on once you have departed!

Mama on

Poor, poor Tom, he must have been a very dehydrated, sore bottomed young man. Shame on you for laughing (I can just imagine you giggling uncontrolably). Any education on the island the for the children?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: