The long-a** ride, Part Deux

Trip Start Jun 26, 2008
Trip End Jul 11, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Chez Rebecca

Flag of United States  , Virginia
Friday, July 11, 2008

I'm not sure how many times I said, "This day sucks," which wasn't fair to Bret. But it was SOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOONG. We drove 11 hours to make it home through the "Wild and Wonderful" mountains of West Virginia. Our cousin John wrote out a route that helped us cut off some time. I think going through West Virginia confirmed that when we travel out West next year (yes, we already planned next year with the kids during this trip!) we'll take a car given our experience in the West Virginia's mountains. The RV uses more gas and takes longer to get up the hills. It was a beautiful drive, which helped. The funniest things I saw were: a sign for a "Coonhunters" meeting, a business called "Bear Paw Taxidermy," and a sign in a rest stop restroom that said, "Do not flush diapers down the toilet" - I didn't think anyone would try that one!

We went north to 81 in West Virginia then south on 81 to 66 to avoid hitting rush hour traffic around D.C. Once we hit 81, people were crazy drivers! Then, once we hit 66, it was as if the heavens opened and angels were singing - there was less traffic, the scenery was beautiful, but the road wasn't as treacherous. "I think this is the most beautiful scenery we've seen on this trip," said Bret of the Blue Ridge mountains. "I have to agree," I said. Our comments seem biased, but they confirmed that we do live in a beautiful part of the country, and that our recent decision to live closer to the Blue Ridge mountains (just 38 miles away), was a good one for us.

We pulled in our driveway at 8:00p.m., sustained on the drive by leftover burgers and hot dogs from Aunt Trish (delicious!), heated in the RV microwave. Everyone ran out of the RV like a caged bird let free. Warner explored the new play set that was put up while we were gone, and Harmond headed straight for his bike. Entering the house, I felt a little lost and the feeling was surreal. I had been "on the road" for 16 days! Unbelievable and unforgettable. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Then, I wondered, "What's next.......?"
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: