Trip Start Jun 26, 2008
Trip End Jul 11, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Wytheville, Virginia KOA

Flag of United States  , Virginia
Thursday, June 26, 2008

Yesterday, we received a one-hour walkthrough of the 31-foot Winnebago and packed it while Janelle's husband Michael relaxed leisurely inside Rebecca's house. Today, Rebecca's husband, Bret, helped put the carseats in at 6:30am and helped us until we were all set to go - all 9 of us (including the dog, Ginger, who recently had her leg amputated due to bone cancer). We left at 10:00am, with Rebecca carefully driving out of her new home's narrow drive in Gainesville, Virginia. The triplets did well (Taylor, the brunette, was reclined with her legs over the dinette table in her cow-print Britax), watching movies on the au pair, Meaw's, computer, while Spencer, and Molly (the blonde) watched Barney on the main t.v. Rebecca's kids were fine after the thrill of movie after movie after movie in their portable dvd player and special snacks. The thrill wore off about 1pm and we met Janelle's grandparents at Shoney's in Harrisonburg, Virginia and the kids ate at the buffet. After lunch, Janelle and Rebecca popped over to Walmart for a few extras (and Harmond's Lucky Charm's cereal, which mom has PROMISED because rules were relaxed on the RV trip to allow sugared cereal (yes, it's really about bribe after bribe after bribe when traveling for 14 days in a bus). Meaw waited with the kids in the RV until the emergency phone call that the kids were losing it and we pulled through for our first gas pumping experience, which went fine ($100 for 1/2 a tank). Two hours later, we decided to stop in Natural Bridge, Virginia, for a stop at the local zoo. We saw, up close!, mountain lions, tigers, three tiger cubs, black bears, and snakes (very exciting for Rebecca's boys, Harmond, 6, and Warner, almost 4). There was even the experience of feeding a female elephant, Asha (who sucked feed like a vacuum cleaner out of our hands, leaving them covered in slobber) and we also got to feed the goats, mules, and baby guinea pigs (who make the strangest sound!). The kids started screaming around 7pm, with one hour to go to Wytheville under a severe thunderstorm warning, and we finally made it to our first day's destination at 8:15pm, 15 minutes after the campground office closed. The registration information was outside, but Rebecca missed it somehow and called the number provided, which made the manager come over, but it also got us help with our first RV hook up, and got the pool opened past closing time for the kids and early in the morning at 8am, before the normal 10am opening time. The air was cool, we opened the windows and turned the A/C off, and finally got the kids to bed, with Janelle and the girls in the loft over the RV cab, and Meaw slept with Spencer on the pullout couch. Then, we declared victory and collapsed ourselves. Not bad for a first day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: