In Nanjing

Trip Start Oct 07, 2012
Trip End Dec 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
here i am

Flag of China  , Jiangsu,
Monday, October 8, 2012

It is still hot in Nanjing in October- about 25/26 degrees. I was met by one of the lecturers and another guy drove us to NUIST. The journey was just over an hour long, there was much BEEP BEEPing from car horns (they warn each other they ARE coming through)!.

Nanjing centre is really built up, I laughed when I passed an Ikea - seeing as Louise tweeted me she'd read its ok to sleep in Ikea in China. I really could have done with a sleep at that point!

I couldn’t get my camera switched on fast enough to take a pic of one of those fast trains that I like (Shinkansen) but thought to self… "I must make a journey on one while I am here ;)

bridge in nanjing      massive tunnel under Yangtze river
We went over some bridge but i don't think it was the depressing Yangtze bridge featured in “idot abroad" we went through a really long tunnel under the river instead.

Further out was less built up yet in amongst the new, I saw; small stacks of grasses drying and seemingly old folk working on bits of land. As we drove on to NUIST it became less built up; here there are more trees and I can see hills in the distance.

I had texted in jest saying “hope I don’t get shown around uni today”, arrived at accommodation and only had time to drop bags off before… going to the uni!!! They are so nice and kind and hospitable they forgot to let me rest – I’d been on the go for 24+ hours so was a bit zombified.

NUIST Never mind I got to see some of the campus grounds - they are even less built up, many trees and gardens, I could see hills and hear bird song. What an amazing campus; buzzing with life - yet not noisy. We attempted to get my university card (that can be topped up and used in shops and at the canteen), but I think we were in wrong building and it was decided we would return next day – never mind it was a lovely building.

Next I was taken to a shop where I bought a sim card (30 Yuan - 3) - all in Chinese of course –but I managed to change the language.

Outside was a massive pitch with load of basketball hoops where loads of students were playing basketball, while another crowd were doing something like Tai Chi.

Then we headed off to see Professors office, where we had a few things to sort out such as printing off his timetable. We waited for another colleague to arrive.

They took me to dinner in the staff canteen (goodness knows what i looked like bearing in mind I’d been up about 27 hours). Our table was in a private curtained area (maybe that was to hide me ;o) ) set with a turn table food server, and as predicted they ordered tons of food.

First we had green tea to drink. With our meal a drink of coconut milk in a can (with old style ring pull) – each time before taking another drink they toasted each and everyone drank again - I wanted to drink more but felt if i did it would interrupting their eating - it was quite funny.

Normally I can use chopsticks but these were of the lacquered type -  I think it was lucky for me that I could not use them as it used up more time and I think I got away with eating much less!!! I just laughed each time the food slipped from the slippery sticks!

There was a plate of what looked like deep fried chicken bones with a little meat on them - they could have been chicken ankles for all I know ;) I preferred the broccoli dish. There was a soup – masses of it -  “please have more”, some spicy green beans and chicken, which was really tasty, a rice dish. a beef dish. I was so full yet the curtain kept opening and courses just kept coming! and they would say “please have more”.

Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the experience - it was great - it was just hard because I was over tired, full of the cold, time was all to pot. I felt it would have been rude to refuse so I ate but so much food made me feel a bit queasy! Anyway despite the fact I felt like a zombie, I had a really good night.

 Finally it was time to take me back to my accommodation, by then i was actually feeling dizzy – just over tired yet strangely enough I found the energy shower and unpack. I slept for about an hour before waking again with full blown cough/cold, so decided to make the most of being awake and did some work till 5am, I was probably excited as too my first lecture was Tuesday morning.


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Elaine Q on

Wow!!! They've throw you right into the deep end! lol Bet you are practically sleepwalking by now! Hope it has all went well so far, and you're getting your bearings :o)

rebecca_redden on

Yep in at deep end - will post about my brill first class soon :o)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: