Fraser Island 4X4 Pink Party Truck

Trip Start Feb 23, 2006
Trip End Jun 24, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Friday, May 16, 2008

I managed to hook up a ride from Sydney up to Brisbane with a truck driver friend. It was a long drive well into the night. After I talked one of the dealers into letting us drop off 2 cars at the same place instead of having to make 2 separate deliveries, we drove on to the outskirts of Brisbane and slept in the truck for a few hours at a truck stop before I caught a train into Brisbane to meet up with another ride that was going to take me as far as Maryburough. Everything worked out just perfectly, I got to the bus station in Maryburough 2 minutes before the local bus left for Hervey Bay. The driver was really nice and dropped me off in front of Fraser Roving Backpackers. I booked a self drive 4 wheel drive trip with them and crashed for a few hours after that marathon 27 hour journey. If everything didn't work out perfectly, I couldn't imagine how long that would have taken.

They put me with a group of 8 other people, most of which were under 21 and couldn't drive. There were 2 18 yo Norwegian girls (sharing my tent), 3 18-19 yo English lads and 3 German fraus in their 20s. One of the German girls was planning on driving, but for one reason or another never did even though they complained that I was going too fast or too close to the sea all the time. I ended up driving the entire weekend. It was great! It was like having my own toy truck to play in the sand the whole weekend. Although it was a bit annoying that I was responsible for everyone's safety, I'd rather be responsible for them than leave my safety up to someone else that has never driven in sand. The only problem was that I had only driven about 1 hour in the last 27 months. But it turned out to be just like riding a bike only easier. I had almost gotten myself killed in Sydney riding a bike around town because I was looking for cars coming from the wrong direction. I didn't even get us stuck in the sand once the whole weekend.

Fraser Island is beautiful. I expected to see many more tourists, but it was laid back and didn't seem over run with tour groups. We went for a hike through the woods and came up to isolated Lake Basin. The water was freezing cold, but I went for an icy swim anyway. We made camp around 5 or 6 and cooked up some sausages, burgers and steaks for dinner. We had brought 90 beers for the weekend, so we got started on them right away. The funniest thing that night was when Jana and I walked back into camp and found a dingo licking up the juices from our cookout on the sand. They had showed us a video before the trip as to what to do if we came across one of the hundreds of pure bred dingos on the island. The video showed two girls with stupid petrified looks on their faces crossing their arms across their chests (think Macarena) and slowly backing away. This was exactly what Jana did as she slowly backed away quietly shouting at me to follow her and clutching my arm. As I pulled away, she said, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? COME ON RAY LETS GO!" I went to get my camera and took a couple pictures of the little puppy before it finally ran away when the others came back.

The second day we saw a shark and a school of Sting Rays from the top of Indian Head Lookout. I wanted to see some dolphins or a tiger shark, but they didn't show up before the rains started. We got back to our campsite early and without any prompting, all the girls started to set up the tents as the boys cracked open beers and wise ass remarks while the girls did all the work. They even cooked up a nice pasta dinner that night for us. Norway and Germany RULES! We didn't have any beach toys so we took a plate and used it as a frisbee, but that got old pretty quickly. So we started playing younger children's games that I'd never heard of. It was a cross between Red Rover and tag, but you had to crawl between your teammate's legs. After dinner, the full moon lit up the night sky and cast eerie shadows in the trees as Jana and I took a nice stroll down the beach. The surf felt warm on our feet and soon we were lost in the endless sand banks along the 75 mile beach. Each bluff looked exactly the same as the next and our camp was well hidden behind one of them. We walked up on a group of 4 trucks blasting music and dancing on a makeshift dance floor. After having a beer with our new friends, I went back to get more beers and the others and made one huge party! To get everyone going, I jumped up on one of the trucks and starting dancing on the luggage rack and stripped down to my board shorts. The next morning we broke camp amazingly early and made our way to Lake Mackensey. This was the most beautiful lake on the island. The water was crystal clear. I strapped on my snorkel and mask and went for a swim. There were absolutely no fish at all in the freshwater lake. It was weird. I could see for at least 30+M, but there was nothing to see. It was like someone had just cleaned the aquarium and taken all the fish out. Someone told me afterwards there were turtles playing in the middle, but I didn't get that far out. Then all too soon, it was over and we had to catch the ferry off the island and back to civilization.

All in all it was a successful weekend. We had a great time, no one lost any limbs and we got our $1000 deposit back. Another group of 4 Koala trucks weren't so lucky when someone dobbed them in for drag racing on the sand. An additional $4000 would have made it a very expensive weekend.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: