100 Mile Wilderness Start

Trip Start Jun 25, 2012
Trip End Nov 25, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Maine
Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I woke up the morning after Katahdin around 5 AM. I could really feel the "great mountain" in my legs, but i was excited for the day ahead of me. I had hung yesterday's clothes up in the shelter to dry, but with the rain all night and humidity it was pointless, they were almost wetter. Same with my shoes, even after removing the insoles and hanging them, I could barely notice a difference. A northbounder I stayed with the next night said to not plan on dry feet until Vermont. I Ate breakfast, purified some water, relaxed for a bit and then began hiking. It was a 10 mile hike out of Baxter, and then a mile or so to the entrance of the 100 mile wilderness.

Today was also a day of rain, it probably halted for a combined hour or so. The walk through Baxter was beautiful, the trail started out following a series of lakes with small mountains emerging from the water on all sides. It eventually followed along Katahdin Stream, which had several amazing waterfalls. The hike was quite flat compared to the day before, a situation which actually had a dark side. The flatness caused the water to collect, so I was trekking through miles and miles of puddles and mud. I tried stepping along the edges of the trail or from rock to rock, but having completely submerged feet became inevitable very quickly. One puddle stretched on for a good quarter mile. I approached a river crossing, but with all the rain the water levels were high and the river was flowing extremely fast. I took a mile detour trail which took me downstream to a safer crossing.

After hiking a while I made it out of Baxter State Park. I stopped for a late lunch; flatbreads with tomato sauce and pepperonis, an idea i'll credit to Joe Hartley, my college roommate who had shown them to me while camping a few years back. After hiking down a gravel road and over a bridge, i approached the entrance to the 100 mile wilderness. A torrential downpour began, and with the thick trees above combined with heavy clouds it was almost dark. I saw the infamous sign, which said something along the lines of "Caution: No town or resupply for the next 100 miles. Make sure you have at least 10 days food/supplies before entering. Do not underestimate this section." Since it was pouring, I hiked as fast as I could. I crossed dozens of bog bridges, which slowed my pace because the wooden balance beams were very slippery with deep swamps on all sides. After 3.5 miles into the section I made it to a shelter, where I stayed for the night with two southbounders and a northbounder near the completion of his hike. He was young and quite sick of the woods, and was ecstatic to be near completion. He had started Feb 2nd, and planned on being picked up and taken back into civilization 2 days later. Doug "Telstoy" was his name, and he wrote his final shelter journal entry which I read the following morning. An excerpt that gave me some motivation is as follows: "But without a doubt, this amazing journey has deepened and carved into my soul & character and has shown me glimpses of the man I wish to become."
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sarah and Andrew Hirschy on

Rush, we are thinking about you. We are so proud of what you are accomplishing and enjoy following your journey. Best Wishes to you!

Cash on

Mr. Blaine you are the man we all wish to become. Onwards my boy!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: