Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Monday, October 13, 2008

13th October

To ensure that we got away from Nuwara Eliya today we were up at 5:30am for the second day running. Quickly packed, checked out and were at the bus stop at 5:59am! Who said holidays were relaxing? I found some shop selling random food and stood around waiting for the bus to arrive. At 6:30 the bus arrived and we quickly secured the best seats possible, opposite the door at the back and started waiting for it to leave. We finally pulled away at 7:30 for the start of a mammoth journey.

The journey was a bit weird in many ways. For a start there were 4 other backpackers on the bus (2 Israeli, 2 Slovenian girls). Having not seen ANY backpackers for the whole time in Sri Lanka this was quite a turnup. There was also an albino Sri Lankan woman at the front of the bus and a guy with 6 fingers! Freak bus!! What ensued was 8 hours of torture in the smallest seats imaginable. We stopped once after 4 hours for about 10 minutes for a roadblock but that was it for the whole journey to Matara.

When we finally arrived in Matara we jumped straight onto another bus bound for our final destination, Unawatuna. The journey was along the coast and the sea looked so inviting that it was reinvigorating. An hour later and we jumped off the bus and stepped onto the beach for the first time in the trip. All thoughts of budget went out the window and we checked into a luxury villa, right on the beach, with a room each!

The room was fantastic! A large double bed drapped in a mosquito net, minibar, satellite tv and brilliant en-suite. Shattered but happy to be at the beach I made my way downstairs and cracked open the first beer of the trip. 10 hours by bus, 350rps. Getting to the beach for my birthday, Priceless! Once the first beer had been opened there was no stopping. I ended up in some bar on the beach playing pool with the locals and beating all of them! Can't say that happens often. A great day all round.

14-16th October

I spent the next 3 days basically relaxing on the beach all day, eating seafood for dinner every night and playing pool. As it was the low season there wasn't a lot going on in the evenings and very few people around at all. However I still had a great time and the rest was definitely needed after the action packed previous 10 days.

As there was no ATM in Unawatuna we took a tuk-tuk to Galle on 1 afternoon. We spent about an hour wandering around the walls of Galle Fort. It was a good diversion from the beach but was so hot that we were soon back at the beach, cooling off in the sea.

Unawatuna was great for a few days relaxing and I'd love to go back during high season when it was a bit more lively!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: