Luxury Buses - The Return Journey

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of El Salvador  ,
Tuesday, August 1, 2006

I had a very early bus this morning so to be kind to the other people in the dorm I packed up before going to bed. They weren't so courteous and came crashing in at 1am after hitting the bars. I got my own back an hour later when I got up to check out and made as much noise as possible.

So I found myself on the street at 2am making my way towards the Tica bus terminal on the other side of San Jose. I can't say I felt safe and was on the look out for the first taxi that came in view. That decision was reinforced when a gang of mopeds went flying passed seconds later making threatening gun gestures with their fingers. Thankfully a taxi drove passed seconds later, although taxis aren't always the safest option either!

This time it was fine and we managed to make the 5 minute journey to the Tica bus station, passed hordes of transvestite street walkers, with no further incidents.

Despite the fact it was 3am I was quite happy to be leaving San Jose and even relishing the prospect of arriving in San Salvador again! San Jose really was that bad! I never wish to visit that shit hole ever again and I have no idea why it is so popular with the American tourists?

The Tica bus really was quite luxurious. I never considered taking one on the way south because there were so many interesting places to visit. However the convenience of getting back to Guatemala in 2 days without 20+ buses for only $40(ish) was too good an offer to refuse.

However I was knackered and the bus was FREEZING! I curled myself into a ball, wrapped in a blanket, and slept until reaching the first border of the day. Borders are always confusing places, even more so when there are 40 people to organise. I stood around not knowing what was going on for 10 minutes before getting back on the freezing bus and getting comfortable for the drive through Nicaragua.

Another 5 hours later and we arrived at the Honduran border. It had been a pleasant drive. Couple of decent movies and complimentary food. Pure luxury after the smoke belching buses I had been using in recent days. Honduran immigration were really quite friendly. All I had seen of the country was the short road between borders but I would have liked to see more. Not much really drew my attention apart from the Bay Islands and some ruins. Either way it would have been worth a couple of days rather than 4 hours total on a bus.

El Salvadorian immigration took ages. Checked everyones passport a couple of times and went through the luggage hold twice as well. Really miserable and put me off spending another night in their country, but I had no choice.

3 hours later at 9pm we finally pulled into the bus depot in San Salvador. 4 countries down, 1 to go but that'd have to wait till the morning. For now I was glad for the basic hotel room and rock hard bed. I needed to take my malaria pills again, tried but just couldn't swallow it then thought "what's the point anymore?" and went to sleep completely knackered.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: