Mad Dash Through Sarawak

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I was up and ready to leave Brunei at 7am and quite happy to be leaving after only 1 day. I was especially happy that we'd be taking a taxi and as a result blitzing straight over the border rather than the hassle, and more expensive, 3 buses approach.

I don't really see why they need to make it so complex by bus as we flew across the border in only a couple of hours. Only time we had to stop was at the border while we were queuing to cross and a cool x ray car scanned our minibus a couple of times. We didn't even need to get out of the car to present our passports! Easiest border crossing ever!

Once across onto Malaysian soil again we zipped along the road to Miri where we had intended to stay the night. Instead we decided to skip the visit to Mulu, unfortunately, and just go straight to Kuching and enjoy a few days before our flight.

It was only midday when we arrived in Miri so we booked on the 1pm bus to Kuching and went in search of lunch. Some more Mi Goreng before boarding the bus and getting prepared for a long(16 hour) journey to Kuching.

The bus had amazing seats that we could recline almost all the way and a really loud speaker system that was playing alright (for Asian standards) music until the bloody Crazy Frog and Mai-a-hee (Numa Numa) songs came on and I wanted to smash the CD. I didn't and we had to listen to the CD 5 times on a loop! I was going crazy.

Got to about 7pm and I decided it was going to be an uncomfortable rest of the journey, in a huge thunder storm, so had a couple of sleeping pills in the hope of waking up in Kuching. So in the next hour I was woken up 3 times. Twice by police checking our visas and once at the dinner stop. I staggered over to some chicken cart vendor like a zombie and bought some hairy chicken satay like skewers, quickly devoured them hoping I wouldn't regret it in the morning and returned to the land of nod. Thankfully there were no more interruptions.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: