Seeing the sights

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
75 Travellers Lodge

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The hostel we stayed at last night was incredibly strange. For a start there was a pet turtle in the shower room which was very weird. Worse still were the people in the dorm. I know I haven't slept in a dorm for a while but 2 of the guys there were staring at us all night! I swear every time I turned over their eyes were wide open looking at us! One of them also had a hideous cough that sounded like he was going to chuck up a lung at any moment.

Needless to say the LP was out first thing in the morning and we promptly moved out of Love Lane and into a far better looking hostel round the corner. It was a colonial style building with wooden shutters on the windows and the bedroom roof must have been at least 15ft high. I liked it straight away, even if it was swelteringly hot and the fan was totally useless. Threw my dirty clothes at the staff and went out to see the town.

Spent a few hours doing a loop walk around the sights in town checking out the temples and mosques before thinking about lunch. After yesterdays disgraceful burger we had to start eating better food so we started off the day with a great Chinese dim sum breakfast. After sightseeing we were in Little India so popped into some local Indian street food place and pointed at a few things in slop trays that were very tasty and incredibly cheap. Street food is definitely the way to go, just block any hygiene issues out of your mind whilst ordering or eating and you'll be fine.

Whilst walking around we spotted a department store and had to go in and check out the electronics. It was good to have Lars back so that I wasn't the only loser going in every electronics shop!

Anyway, this department store, Komtar Kompleks didn't have any electronics. It was a terrible 80's style dirt mall complete with awful music. I had a great laugh wandering around looking at the really bad clothes and tat no one would buy before hitting Starbucks and Sushi King. Sushi was to become a large part of my diet for the next few weeks thanks to Lars' obsession and I wanted to get as much in before Dave arrived again as he couldn't stand the stuff.

In the evening Lars and I went to checkout a nearby bar for a couple of jugs of really expensive beer, listening to cheesy 80's tunes from the bar over the street before it started to rain. Decided some food was in order and found an incredible place in Little India open at 1am with some superb mutton masala before finally thinking of heading back.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: