Trying to snorkel again

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

After the drinking last night (damn Chang) I was less than pleased when my alarm decided to wake me up at 7:30. But I was snorkeling again today and quite looking forward to a chance to redeem myself. Sat around waiting and were finally picked up (on the back of a truck) 40 minutes late. Finally arrived at the dock 10 minutes later and were soon underway.

The group was pretty good and everyone seemed up for it, if slightly apprehensive, which made me feel better. Got chatting to a sound English couple, who's name I have forgotten, who proved to be great company and drinking partners later in the day. More on that later...

The first port of call was Shark Bay. Now the word shark was enough to put me off although they were apparently small harmless ones and huge whale sharks. Unfortunately, not a touch of sarcasm there...., the sea was too rough and we had to abort the visit there. Shame....

So we rounded the corner and went to meet a small group of other boats with people snorkeling. Still seemed pretty rough to me and I chose not to go in. Only 2 people on our boat decided to go in (read show off) and within minutes they were crying for help and had to be rescued. Great start to the day!

Now this guy may have been cut a few times by the rocks and swallowed a bit of water but he was the biggest baby I have ever seen. He was floundering around on the floor as if he was dying and begging to be taken to see a doctor. His cuts were tiny and nothing worse than mine at Phi Phi.

Anyway we didn't take him to a doctor and carried on to the next place, which was far calmer. I was first in and reported back to them that you could see absolutely nothing. Swam a bit further from the boat and it was completely different. Loads of fish everywhere! Spent a fantastic 45 minutes chasing the fish around and testing my ability to swim under water, which was actually seriously impeded by wearing flippers.

Once back on the boat the guy was still dying so we all went up top to sunbathe and make jokes about him. Realised we were headed further out into the open water and had no idea why as all the other boats had gone the other way. Turns out we needed to spend 45 minutes sitting there doing nothing whilst they performed a deep sea oil change! The boat who helped us got a few beers in return.

Back towards dry land again and we stopped for lunch just off Sai Ree beach, where I could actually see my bungalow! Lunch was a pretty foul concoction of battered chicken, cucumber and boiled rice, with a sachet of ketchup (cos all westerners have to have ketchup with every meal of course) before doing exactly what you shouldn't do and go swimming straight after a meal.

Well this was quite an experience! Spent about 20 minutes swimming around admiring the brightly coloured fish and corals before deciding to swim under water again. Went down to the floor and started coming up when I looked up and saw a long tail boat, with propeller at full speed, directly over my head!! Quickly swam down again with my breathe running out until it was safe to return to the surface. The driver of the boat was giving me the evils like I had done something wrong. How can they drive boats directly through where they know loads of people are snorkeling? I almost became another news article in England and more lost tourism for Thailand.

So safely avoiding death, only just, I got back on board and started drinking with the English guy. Thought it was the least I deserved!

The next destination we were going was Koh Nangyuan, a place I had wanted to visit whilst over in Koh Tao. I had enquired about this snorkeling trip whilst in Koh Pha Ngan but it was 1500 baht compared to 550 baht here.

Koh Nangyuan was pretty stunning. 3 islands joined by a small section of beach. the only islands like it in the world. To reach the summit for the obligatory photo op you had to walk along a cool little wooden track before climbing over a few rocks which proved rather difficult in flip flops.

After admiring the view I headed straight to the bar for some wildly expensive drinks to pass the 1.5 hours we had to kill. Some of the others went for some more snorkeling but I couldn't be bothered.

Once back on land Lucy and I went in search of some more palatable food and settled on pizza, and more beer, at an Italian place. Really good pizza and Chang's finest beer before I retired for a nap at 6pm. I was pretty drunk so a sleep was necessary.

Woken at 9 by Lucy banging on the door telling me to wake up. We were supposed to be going to a party in the jungle but the state I was in I seriously doubted it. After a decent meal of barracuda we went to the Pure lounge which was the ultimate downfall of the night. Chilled out music and bean bag chairs don't mix when you're tired and by 1am I was woosing out and heading to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: