Waiting for the boat

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Sunday, January 8, 2006

After yesterdays mammoth journey I was eager to make the most of the lie in this morning. However checkout time was 11am so come 11 I was showered, packed and wondering what to do with myself until 4pm and my bus/boat.

Decided to have a wander round the streets of Krabi town but it wasn't too interesting to be honest so I holed up in an Internet cafe for 2 hours catching up with my diary. Turned out to be really entertaining as what seemed like half the residents of Krabi town appeared to watch the Muay Thai boxing on the TV, with very vocal support for their chosen fighter.

Grabbed some lunch before going back to the hotel at 3pm to wait for the bus. Used this time wisely to finish writing about my time in Vietnam. Only 6 weeks late! Sorry it was so crap but I had to get it written as it was starting to become a burden.

For all the time I had in Krabi today I really should have used it better and gone for more of a look around. Should have taken a trip out to see Railey beach but oh well, maybe next time. It's not like I haven't seen many beaches in recent weeks!

4pm came and we still hadn't been picked up. Come 4:30 a tuk-tuk appeared and ferried us to the bus depot. Now for the money I spent on the ticket the least they could have done was provide a private bus. I ended up on the local bus which only cost 80baht! The tour operator had made a tidy 200 baht profit off me and everyone else. Not that I have a problem with getting the local bus, but it is so slow as it stops everywhere.

The guy in front of me decided he needed to recline his seat all the way resulting in much discomfort for me but it was funny in the end because the Thai guy next to him kept falling asleep on his shoulder. He kept nudging him off but it was a losing battle and it continued for 3 hours. The Thai girl next to me was constantly on her mobile phone but every time it rang she only managed to say hello before they hung up. The guy behind was snoring so loud and had his mouth wide open which was hilarious. The German guy on my other side joked that he wanted to drop something in his mouth but it probably would have been a bit harsh.

At 7pm we were back in "lovely" Surat Thani waiting for transport to the boat. After about 10 minutes I realised it was exactly the same place I had been in only a week earlier whilst waiting to go to Bangkok! Out of all the people waiting most were going to Bangkok, 3 were off to Koh Pha Ngan and I was the only one for Koh Tao.

7:30 everyone left for Bangkok leaving the 4 of us waiting. We were all bundled into a tuk-tuk and ferried off to the dock. I figured we would be on the same boat but we weren't as they had separate ferries to Pha Ngan and Tao. It was at this point that we were told the boats wouldn't be sailing until 11pm! What the hell was I going to do in Surat Thani for 3 hours! Went on the boat to drop off my bags and it was empty. The boat was great! I had expected the same tiny plastic seats as the day ferry but there were 60 tiny mattresses laid out on the floor! I may actually get some sleep after all! Dumped my bag on the mattress at the back and went to find something to do.

Joined up with the group going to Pha Ngan, a great trio from Tucson, Arizona, and went in search of a bar. After half an hour we had no luck and ended up in an Italian restaurant near the pier. Figured I may as well have a pizza to go with the dirty Chang beer and I'm glad I did. By far the best pizza I've had on the trip and a total surprise. Had a great 3 hours chatting about things in general, namely differences between USA and UK and American politics. Yet to meet a Republican voter yet on my travels, or maybe they're too embarrassed to admit it! Anyway they offered me a place to crash if I get to the States and some cheap flights, one was a travel agent. Figure this is going to be the only way I'll be able to travel in the USA as my money is running out so quickly!

After a couple of good hours chatting and a few beers we headed our separate ways and boarded our respective boats. Mine was pretty packed now and my bag had been moved. Luckily it was still at the far end, away from most of the people. Figured the only way I was going to sleep through the trip was to have a couple of the little blue wonder pills. It was midnight by the time we left and I was soon dead to the world.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: