Still in Snooky

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sakal Bungalows

Flag of Cambodia  ,
Friday, December 9, 2005

Having been so tired yesterday I managed to sleep in until close to 11am. Wasn't really the best nights sleep ever with the heat and the constant itching from my burnt back. Damn prickly heat!

I had assumed that Dave would be feeling slightly better this morning and they would have kicked him out by 9am. They had been prepared to send him home last night after all. So I was pretty surprised he wasn't back already.

Thought it was best to go see how he was doing. Went to the bar and asked the guy who took us last night how to get there and he disappeared. Stood around for 5 minutes like a lemon and he didn't come back so I left.

Thought it was best to check the beach to see if the guys had seen anything but they were obviously still in bed. Back to the hotel to grab one of the many pesky moto drivers who camp outside the bar. I still didn't like riding on these things but it is the only way to get around in Sihanoukvile and I have had to do it loads of times over the last few days. Sort of remembered the way and got him to drop me off in the centre of town before walking the rest of the way to the clinic.

He had evidently had a pretty bad night and I was glad he was at the clinic rather than in the shack as I wouldn't have known what to do. Although this place isn't the cleanest (dead cockroach and ants everywhere) it was still far better than nothing. They tried to feed him fish with a side portion of dried prawns for breakfast this morning so not liking fish he touched none of it. Managed some porridge and soup though.

I still thought he looked far better this morning than last night so imagined it would only be a matter of time until he's out. So you can imagine my surprise when he said he would be this ill for 3-5 days more! I went back to the hotel to get something to eat before getting back on a bike to the clinic. Gave him the things he needed and went back to the hotel, nothing more I could do there.

Once back I spotted Lars so chose to sit back and relax for the rest of the day. It was so hot that had to go for a quick dip in the sea to cool off. In the middle of playing pool I received a text from Dave's dad saying Dave wished to see me, so I left and took Lars along for company. I'm sure it'd help to see another friendly face.

It was obvious that the situation had changed as he was now on a drip but he seemed happy to see us. His dad was on a flight out from London and would arrive some time tomorrow which I think really lifted his spirits.

After and hour or so there we bid goodbye and got a moto back. Couldn't be bothered to leave the bar to get diner so ate some fish and chips, which was pretty good, before going up Victory hill in search of a better net connection. Played around for about an hour before Kim and Sebastian arrived saying they were going to a party on Occheuteal beach. It seems this weekend was the start of the high season and everywhere was having opening parties. Free food and cheap alcohol so I was sold!

Got the moto drivers down to a dollar and set off on the way. The ride wasn't exactly smooth. On reaching Occheuteal the road turns to sand and the bike was wobbling about everywhere, Kim's bike nearly collapsed, which wouldn't have been nice as he probably would have been burned by the exhaust. Halfway into our journey smelt burning and realised my flip-flops were melting!

The party was actually really good, and alcohol was bloody cheap. We were drinking buckets (proper buckets like you would use to build sand castles) filled with a 70cl bottle of Mekong whisky and a tiny bottle of Coke. Thought they would be lethal but I returned to the hotel, at 4:30am, relatively sober. Although I can't remember the moto back at all although I know I gave him a tip for being fast.

Sat at the bar and watched the World Cup draw. England managed to avoid Australia (who I thought for sure we'd get) but got bloody Sweden again! The Swedish guys were pretty happy about it and think they'll win, I think it's a guaranteed 1-1 draw. Decided enough was enough and went to bed at 5:30am.

Whilst we were at the bar we got chatting to the barman about wages. For working 6pm-6am he was on $3 a night! He said the waitresses only got $1, which he explained is why they offer "extra services". Every bar you walk passed has at least 4 local girls offering their services and to be honest if they're only getting $1/day working and $25 for their other services you can see why they do it!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: