Fun on the Bus

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of China  ,
Saturday, November 5, 2005

At 7am we checked out of the hostel and went to catch our minibus to Kunming, a nice cozy 5 hours away. But being China it was of course far longer. As soon as we got onboard and there were only 5 seats taken I knew we were in for a long wait.

We ended up stuck at Xiaguan (Dali City) station for 2 hours waiting for the bus to fill up. Jesper and Dave were getting really frustrated and kept arguing with the driver for money back, to no avail of course. I just put my mp3 player on and tried to block it out.

As soon as the bus moved some guy jumped off to use his phone! This really annoyed us more and Dave and Jesper started shouting and slamming their hands on the side of the bus saying "Let's Go!". He re boarded and we were finally off, nearly 3 hours and we had gone 15km's!

The journey was pretty uncomfortable and long. I was pretty glad for the stop for lunch just so I could stretch my legs as the leg room was really bad. The road to Kunming was also terrible! It was just a building site and like being on Tibetan roads again.

We finally arrived in Kunming at 6pm and jumped straight in a taxi to the Camellia hotel. Bumped into a couple from base camp and had a chat for a few minutes before dumping our stuff and heading out.

We went for dinner in a place called Happy Fish which the LP described as "a great all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet with as much beer as you can drink". I would rather say "prison food served up on metal trays in the canteen from hell with as much recycled piss as you can stomach"! We spent the whole time being mocked by teenage Chinese kids and we left after about 10 minutes. The food was so awful that Dave and Jesper headed straight to KFC after!

On the way back to the hostel we stopped for a drink at another hostel, The Hump, and met up with another few people from Tibet. Realised the ESPN in the bar wasn't going to show the footie so went to the Holiday Inn. They were showing the football but I was still feeling ill so went back early. Dave and Jesper carried on to another bar and got back after 3am.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: