Still in Lhasa

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Thursday, October 27, 2005

Decided to check out the holy ares of town and in particular the Barkhor circuit. The Barkhor is basically a market square where the pilgrims come to walk around before paying their respects at the Jokhang temple. We completed the circuit but there was no way we were going to pay the 90 Yuan to visit the temple, no matter how holy it is!

Went in search of a coffee shop to sit and while away the hours and stumbled upon one on a side street called "Pilgrim Coffee Shop". Sounded like it fit the bill so we went up. Most ridiculously priced coffee in China and at least 10 members of staff too many as there were no customers. Tibet is seriously lacking in coffee shops!

Annoyed we headed to the net cafe from yesterday and wasted another 5 hours! Had dinner in the same restaurant before heading back to the bar. Lucy's group had returned and we all headed out clubbing. 21 people in the group and we arrived at some small Tibetan club which proved pretty funny for about an hour. We even dared Jesper to go and dance round the singer and give him a big hug. He obliged and we coughed up the 10 yuan. Jesper also flew into a rage with the bar staff for over charging us which was brilliant to watch!

We then commandeered a fleet of taxis and set off to another club, Face, in the Chinese side of town. It was great! The music was actually good, the DJ's could mix and I was smashed. We ordered a bottle of vodka between us and it wasn't long before we were all too far gone.

At 4:30 we got a taxi back to the Yak, via a city tour as our driver had no idea where he was going, and we were a disgrace. Really hungry we went in search of sustenance and of course everywhere was closed. So Jesper made the reception staff wake up the shop keeper and secured a couple of noodle pots. Most Chinese people seem to sleep in their place of work! In Chengdu 3 reception staff slept in reception. Something I found very wrong.

With the noodles secured we still required hot water so he woke up the on call staff. By the time it arrived we weren't even hungry but ate anyway before retiring to bed at 5:30.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: