Incredibly boring day

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Ludo Binguan

Flag of China  ,
Friday, October 14, 2005

We had to catch a train at 6pm so spent much of the day doing very little. Dave went off in search of a net cafe down the road but I decided to wait around in the lobby for one in the hotel. Dave was still gone when I had finished so I went off in search. Net cafes in China are now supposed to have their entrances disguised because the Chinese have a tendency to play games for 12 hours straight.

As you can guess I managed to walk straight passed the entrance. As I had mentioned before about train stations being nasty areas the next street was full of "hair salons" and as I walked passed the girls literally ran across the path and tried to drag me in! I swiftly crossed the road and power walked to the net cafe.

So as not to totally waste the day we decided to walk into town for some more chicken on a stick. Seeing as we had walked that far we decided to check out the Muslim quarter. Had a good look around the market stalls, which had a surprising amount of camping gear, but we choose to wait until Chengdu to buy some more gear. Also had our photos taken with yet more Chinese people, a whole family this time! I'll still never be able to get my head around why people want their photos taken with us.

At 5pm we went to the train station for our 6pm train to Yichang in the Hubei province. We hadn't been able to secure a sleeper so had to settle for a hard seat. Hard was the correct term and it was a 90 degree seat made of wood with a tiny bit of padding. We were also the only westerners in the 4 hard seat carriages and it wasn't much fun. We had a seat down the back of the carriage which was fine as we were out of everyones view. However the hostess decided to move us closer to our bags once the train started and all eyes were on us again!

At 9pm we were offered an upgrade to hard sleeper which we promptly snapped up. When we got to the sleeper carriage I was really pissed off. Out of the whole carriage of 60 beds only 2 were taken. I knew they were lying at the train station and the only reason I can think of is that they are in league with the hotels and take a cut of the commission.

Either way I was thankful for the bed and had a beer to celebrate before getting in bed for hopefully a good sleep. I should add that my shoes were smelling so bad now that I had to sleep with them on!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: