Back to Tokyo

Trip Start Sep 05, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Japan  ,
Thursday, September 15, 2005

Awoke feeling a little worse for wear and spent a few hours trying to wake up. Grabbed the free brekkie again before heading off to Kyoto station for the return to Tokyo. Our train passes ran out today so we would have to spend 2 more nights there.

We had booked a place at the Guess T House in Azubu-Juban near Roppongi on the recommendation of someone we had met. Took about 2:30hrs to arrive back in Tokyo and still had to navigate our way around the subway to somewhere we hadn't been before. After standing around looking perplexed for a few minutes we were approached by a couple of friendly locals who helped point us in the right direction, and also commenting that Azabu-Juban was a good area.

On the way to Aubu-Juban we realised we had no idea where the hostel actually was. It wasn't listed in the guidebook (Rough Guides why not? It should be) and the place where we booked it didn't have a printer. After a short walk we knew we were in the right sort of area so we dropped our bags and Dave went off in search. In the end he followed a couple of foreigners on the off chance they would be staying there!

Checked in and were shown the way to our dorm. 12 people in 1 room! This place was going to be busy. It was late afternoon so we thought we would go and check out the Metropolitan building at night. Arrived there just after 6pm and it was pitch black and the view of endless seas of houses and neon was pretty spectacular.

Couldn't be assed to go back to the hostel so went straight to Roppongi to check it out. Had dinner at an unbelievably expensive sports bar, a 1000 yen pint and a plate of the saltiest chips in history before heading to the notorious Gas-Panic to catch its happy hour.

Wednesday night obviously isn't the night to go out in Japan as the bar was empty. Either way we made the most of the cheaper drinks and watched Jackass on the TV. It picked up somewhat during the hour we were there, but a couple of girls playing Jenga isn't what you expect in a bar with such a dodgy reputation.

As it was quiet we chatted to the bar staff for a bit. One guy was Canadian and informed us the club was run by the Yakuza, as were pretty much all the others! Come 9:30 the happy hour was over and we said we would be back tomorrow with more money.

The common room area in the hostel was packed when we returned. Spent a good couple of hours chatting to the people there. A Scottish guy (can't remember his name but check out his site was a pretty good laugh and is on a similar schedule to ours, so no doubt we will meet up again somewhere along the line. After a long day I retired to bed at about 2am for a good nights sleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: