Rainy day in Buenos Aires

Trip Start Jul 30, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  ,
Friday, February 16, 2007

Headed to bed at 12AM and guess we slept to much on the plane, we were both us at 4AM. We both spent some time on the computer and finally fell asleep at 7AM and up again at 9:30. Went across the street for some breakfast, yum stale toast. Took my malaria pills and gave Bart his, a start to our wonderful day. He told me he wasnt taking them, because we are not in a Malaria area even thought the doctor told us to all over in South America, and then he handed me the once I gave him the day before. I was really upset, even told him I would call his mother. I just dont want anything to happen to him. I would feel terrible. So the tension was there, then put on top of that pouring rain while we were trying to the city and what a wonderful day we had.

We are pretty close to the Congreso Building so that was our first stop on the 'Robert Walking Tour of Buenos Aires'. Big white building I guess you could compare it to our State Capital Building. We walked through the muddy Plaza Congreso, which wasfilled with tourism and pigeons, which I just lobed. We started to walk along the main road Avenue de Mayo, where we hid from the rain for a while, as it would let up we would walk some more. Nice big street, just like any major city in the US lined with shops, restaurants, you would see the occasional groups standing around for their smoke breaks. We crossed the largest avenue in the world the Avenue 9 de Julio which has 6 lanes of traffic on each side, in the center is a tall white Obelisco which we took a picture of from far away. Finally the rain was gone as we made our way to the Cabildo de Buenos Aires, which was the public building in Buenos Aires that was used as government house during the colonial times of the Viceroyalty of the River Plate. On the right of the Cabildo was the Cathedral. After taking a few pics of the Cabildo and Cathedral, we walked through Plaza de Mayo flooded with tourist,we took for picture, some of the Plaza de Mayo Fountain and the back of the Casa Rosada. The Casa Rosada was painted pink when the white and red party merged. We walked along Ave. de la Rabida where we say the remains of a head on collision, a few tractor trailor, the front end of a public bus all smashed and a few cars. We didnt see any Ambulances, so we hope and think no one was hurt. As we walked some more the sidewalked turned into a muddy mess,we were covered kicking it up onto our legs, as shoes were a mess, I guess we were very lucky we didnt slip. From the Ave Villaflor bridge we were able to see the new white, I guess they like everything white here Puerto Madero, which is a pedestrian bridge, with a few sailing boats docked near by. As we turned around to head to the San Telmo district we noticed the reckage of a ship in the river. Insteresting and wondered why they didnt remove it,since they needed to use the water way to get in and out of the Rio de la Plata. As we walked toward the San Temlo district, you started to see all of the cobble stone streets, new stands, and one things I particularly noticed were the Tango Restaurants. Hopefully we will get to one before we leave. Starting to rain even more, getting blister on our feet from our wet shoes, but first headed back to Av.9 de Julio for some more picture of the Obelisco.

Back at our new home for a few days while we get organized, I took a three hour nap, while Bart worked on the computer for a while and then took a nap himself. After our naps we watched some TV when we ran into Emily and Andy again from last night. Asked what we would be doiing for dinner, not sure yet but planned to see some Tango tonight. After a while we took a walk, picked up some snacks, beer, wine, watched a movie and at around 12 went to a Tango place. Well when we first walked in I thought we were at the Senior Citizens polka and very under dressed. Everyone was starring at us, we ordered a pizza and two beers,non for me.. Already feeling like I drank to much and Bart the same. After a while a couple asked Emily and Andy to dance, not sure if they would have asked us as we were not dresses as nice and Bart was not at the table when they approuched us. Bart wanted to dance, I wanted to but we were not dressed, so he got upset because we were supposed to be out to have a good time. I had a good time, but it just wasnt what I wanted. I wanted to see the professions dance all dressed in their customs, but what could you do.

Off to bed at 2AM, up again at 4AM, because we couldnt sleep. Bart ended up taking a walk at 5AM and came back around 6:30AM. Finally fell asleep at 7:30AM.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


rbartorillo on

Sorry, we need to get the blog updated. It has been a bit hectic with the long bus rides and all. Rio was nice (from what I hear we were lucky that we spent three days and didnt get mugged.) It is a shame for such a nice place.

It was great meeting all of you and look forward to seeing you again (either in the states or Aus!) It will be easier to keep in touch once we have a homebase!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: