Last crazy day in Singapore

Trip Start Jul 30, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Singapore  ,
Friday, December 15, 2006

After a late night of walking around the city, we decide we would get up early and get a jump start on our last day.  We planned to do the river cruise and then 2 bus routes of the city.  Then things changed, I asked the front desk where the luggage room was and they said they didn't have one.  Our flight wasn't until 8:15PM and we wanted to spend more time in the city.  They said a hostel down the street sometimes let people hold leave their bags for $10 a bag.  We thought that was a little pricey, so decide we would take our bags straight to the airport for early check in.
After our wonderful breakfast Robert cooked, french toast and sunny side up eggs, we went back to our room to pack.  Us and the English couple we leaving today to fly to Australia, so we all decide to go to the airport together.  After the bags were packed, we check out and headed to the 7-11 for stamps.  We need 25 stamps.  We decided awhile ago that we would send Christmas postcards to all of our friends and family, so we have been writing them since the end of November.  Once we arrived in Singapore the front desk clerk told us about these free postcards with free postage, these postcards where from their tourism office trying to get more visitors into the country.  We thought it was wonderful.  We probably filled our about another 20 postcards.  This Christmas everyone was going to hear from us.  We thought what better way to say hello and send everyone something personal just for them.  After I purchase $25.00 worth of stamps, we were on our way to the Bugis Train Station which would bring us right to the Chingi Airport.
At the airport we headed straight to the Qantas counter, checked in no problem and then went downstairs to drop off 2 bags at the one day luggage hold.  Wonderful we were finally off to spend our last day in the city.  From the airport we took the train straight to City Hall and only had a few blocks walk underground through this mall section until we arrived at Suntec Complex.  We needed to get on the yellow line with City Sightseeing Tour Singapore to connect with the River Tour.  We were a little early so we had some lunch a crispy pancake, can't think of the name right now with a spicy sauce it was very good.  Also their tea is out of this world.  They put some sort of cream in the bottom of it, Robert had a few and loved them.  Soon it was time to meet the bus.  We headed down Orchard Road to meet up with the River Cruise.  We hopped on the boat with about 6 other passengers, received a little introduction and some cruising music.  The skyline was absolutely beautiful from the river, the sky was clear for once what more could we ask for.  We say all of the old sections where the Chinese first established residency.  One building really caught our eye, a government office building all white and the windows trim in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, just like a rainbow.  Soon we were approaching the Merlion.  This is a symbol of Singapore, it is part lion and part mermaid.  On our way back we noticed their Supreme court building, very modern, looks like a spaceship landing in it.  After the tour we needed to wait for about 20 minutes for the next yellow but.  We decide to snack on the pomegranate that we purchased in Thailand.  It was good, but not as good as the once we had in Greece that  Carolyn shared with us.  As the bus arrived it, we noticed a few open seats on top of the bus.  We decide we would sit there since there was no sign of rain in the sky.  We were not on the bus for about 10 minutes and the monsoon moved in, we ran down the stair and found the door locked.  We couldn't believe we made it down quick with only a few drops and waiting for someone to open the door we were soaked..  The yellow tour was coming to an end, so we decide to do our last red tour the Heritage tour of the city.  The bus took us through China Town, Little India, and finally we arrived at our stop.  We decide to try a Singapore Sling at the famous Raffles Hotel.  At Raffles Hotel only has suite that range from $600 to $6000.  Only rich and famous people stay there, they said Queen Elizabeth was there a few months ago. It is a very nice white tiny hotel with court yards a few shops, bar, restaurants.  In the Long Bar we ordered our Singapore Sling, we were already warned about the price $21.00 for a drink.  I told Robert we were only ordering one.  He was fine with that, because once it came it was to girlie for him.  The drink was good topped with a pineapple and cherry, tasted exactly like an Alabama Slammer from home.  Could believe we paid $21.00 for a drink that we would pay $4.00 for back home.  So I decided to be funny and ask the bartender if the glass was include and he said for an extra $20.00, I kindly told him no thank you.  The glass was nice, it has Singapore Sling over dancers and under them it said the Raffles.  After our drink we were on our way back to the airport.
Once we arrived at the airport we needed to get our two checked bag and put the stamps on the postcards.  I couldn't believe it no post cards in any of our bags.  I started to lose it.  How could this happen?  Where could they be?  I spent so much time writing them.  So much money spent on them.  All of our postcards from Greece to Singapore gone.  I got even more upset, we have been collecting postcards from every place we have been and now we have nothing.  Started to cry and then I realized I just blow $25 on stamps.  I got even more upset.  Bart couldn't believe I spent that much money on stamps and now we have no clue where the postcards are..  I told him I wanted to go to see if I could return the stamps at the post office, so we headed back over to terminal 2.  Once there I asked a few people if they needed stamps, finally someone said yes.  I  told him they were international stamps was he sure.  I showed him them and he told me they were normal stamps.  I couldn't believe it.  We thought with almost every year stamps going up back home they were expensive.  We are very grateful we don't have to spend a dollar to mail anything.  By this time the plane was departing in 1 hour and 15 minutes.  We need to catch the sky train back to terminal one and we still have some rum in our bottle of Captain that we wanted to drink.  So Bart stopped at Burger King for a coke.  That drink was well needed, my nerves were almost shot and it sort of settled me, until I realized we still need to go through customs and security with only 45 minutes before departure.  We made it through customs in no time, and noticed some FREE INTERNET terminals, so we e-mailed Joyce and Nadia to let them know we were on our way.  As well as our parents that we were about to get on our flight.  As we headed to gate C 22, we saw a few shops we would have like to stop in to use up some of our money but we had no time to spare.  Once we arrived at the gate we were surprised to see that they had their on security screening, it was very fast.  We thing we like that better then at home, but they (home) would have to employ  a lot more people then they are now.
We finished our Captain and Coke and soon were sitting comfortable on the plane.  Three seats on the side of the plane with a window.  They called over head for a door check and we knew we had an extra seat.  I sat on the isle and Bart took the window since he like to take pictures.  Hope we will get some sleep on this flight.   
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: