Back at home base

Trip Start Aug 14, 2006
Trip End Sep 04, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Add Comment

Flag of Thailand  ,
Thursday, August 31, 2006

I didn't spend too much time in Phnom Penh. I met a French guy and a Swiss couple at my guest house and had dinner with them (Khmer spicy chicken and rice) and then went out to explore the area a bit. Some parts seem quite nice, but mainly only the ones right by the royal palace...other than that the city doesn't seem too exciting.

The next morning I got up early again to check out. Had breakfast at 6:00 (an omlette baguette and coconut shake) so I could get my bus at 6:30. Unfortunately I was only picked up at 6:45, and then my ticket was exchanged by the bus I guess I went with a different company in the end. The bus left at 7:50 or so. After an hour we already had a break...another hour and a half later a longer break...this was bound to be a long day. A while later the bus broke down in the middle of nowhere and we had to get out and stand in the heat while they tried to fix it. I think this has to happen to everyone travelling through Asia at least once! This only took about 20 minutes or so, so it wasn't too bad. A while later the bus broke down again though, so we had to wait in our sweat for about an hour before driving on.

At the border the stamping and getting a Thai visa went quite quickly, so I had some time to get some oreos and an ice coffee on the Thai side (on the bus I ate some chips, baguettes, dried banana chips). It was late in the afternoon at this point. We had to wait for a while for the bus, then took off. After a minute they realized there were 2-3 people too many for the they had to stop again and get another bus. This took another 20 minutes or so. Not too bad though since I called Elisabeth and she said she really wanted to see me and asked if she could stay at my guest house the following day. So I was in a good mood obviously.

On the bus I got the last free seat next to a very friendly girl from South Korea called Minsung. We talked for the entire bus ride (4 hours or so) until we arrived in Bangkok at about 22:30.

We walked to Khao San road and then found a hotel nearby called My House which was very cheap and fairly clean. My room had a bathroom down the hall, making it very cheap. We went to a restaurant with loud music on Khao San and had a late dinner (spicy yellow chicken curry with rice).

This morning I got up at had breakfast downstairs (very tasty: strange Thai musli with fruits and joghurt, a perfectly ripe gold mango, and a mango shake). Next I checked out and found another place to stay nearby. Now I am at the Star Dome Inn, which is very close to Khao San road but much cheaper than the rooms there. Here I have a double-bed and air-conditioning and a clean bathroom for myself. Very decent. I think I'll stay here for a few days.

I'm meeting up with Elisabeth in the afternoon after she is done working. She said she wanted to spend the next few days with me, so I will probably just stay in Bangkok. I've travelled around quite a bit in this short time anyway, so I don't mind staying around here and maybe visiting some nearby places for day-trips. See you all soon!
Report as Spam
Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: