Almost finished with PADI

Trip Start Aug 14, 2006
Trip End Sep 04, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Thursday, August 24, 2006

Yesterday was incredible. Once again we took a longtail boat that took us to the bigger Big Bubble boat. We went to another bay of the island to get started. We had a short briefing, then got our equipment together and got started. A big step into the water and off we went. We descended to 12 meters fairly quickly, and my ears were quite alright! I had to equalize quite a lot when going down, but it was fine. It was astounding being under 12 meters of water and looking up to the surface while being able to breath!

During the first dive we didn't have many exercises to do, we just had to practise levitating at one height (by adjusting the amount of air in the vest). I got the hang of it quite quickly, so we had another 40 minutes or so to swim around and explore the corals and the fish! My depth gauge said we were at 12.5 meters maximum at the end. We saw some incredible fish, and they didn't seem to be very scared of us so we could swim with whole schools of colorful fish.

After an hours break the boat took us to another dive location in another bay where we went for our second dive. This only went to about 10 meters maximum, but it felt like the same depth essentially. We started off with some quick exercises (mask clearing, retrieving the regulator etc) and then had about 45 minutes to dive around. It was absolutely astounding...there were heaps of corals EVERYwhere and we were swimming close by them with schools of fish sometimes and levitated around at whatever height we wanted to. We saw huge schools of fish that didn't seem to care that we were diving right with them. All kinds of corals...they almost looked like mountains underwater and we could explore everywhere! It was an amazing feeling. We even swam with a whole school of baracuda at one point! Saw parrot fish, angel fish, trigger fish and so many random colorful fish in all shapes and sizes. The largest we saw was a meter long baracuda that was swimming right above us! We could literally look at the sharp teeth. Very exciting indeed.

In the evening we went home to take a shower first and then met up back at the beach with the two French girls, Jason, me, the 4 other divers in my group, and a girl called Lisa. We got a taxi over to Mae Hat (on a pickup truck) to have dinner. Unfortunately I had to break the cycle of eating Thai food since everyone agreed to go to an Italian was much more expensive than Thai food and the whole menu was just Italian food. Oh was very good pizza actually, so I didn't mind too much. Afterwards we went to a party on the way back. This was basically a big house with verandas and balconies connected and at different heights with house music playing on the dancefloor and some bars etc. We met lots of people we knew from before (other divers mainly, and even a bunch of dive instructors) so it was a lot of fun talking to everyone and dancing for a bit.

Today I had the morning off so I just had breakfast at the hotel (musli with fruits and joghurt and honey...again...and a mango juice) and now I'm getting ready for my final two dives! These will be to 18 meters, so it should be very exciting! We are going to rent a digital underwater camera for both dives at the dive shop and take some pictures, so hopefully they turn out well and I can upload some. I will be leaving to Bangkok tomorrow in the afternoon probably, and from there I will try to get to Cambodia as soon as possible. From there I will improvise and see what I feel like doing.

Diving time!! Bye bye.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: