Life's a Beach..7 Mile Beach to be exact

Trip Start Feb 23, 2007
Trip End Mar 02, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Jamaica  ,
Sunday, February 25, 2007

Today is a beach day, we agreed to split our time between the country visiting family and doing our own thing on the beach/cliffs.  I am a confirmed beach bum,  an August baby, I need the warmth of the sun.  We arise and dress but we are really in need of a yard breakfast.  Norm's breakfast is great even better that is a part of the room rate, but we need some ackee!!!  So we go off to invite our friends to join us but they are not ready, so we go over to Miss Sonia's for breakfast.  We are the only people there, so we have our choice of seats, a yout comes to look about our request.  We only need one thing...ackee and saltfish with cook dumpling.  He takes our order, brings us juice and we do the tourist thing by taking photos. . Believe it or not I have never been to Miss Sonia's before, so it was a must do on this trip. Miss Sonia won't be at this location too much longer, she has to move.  I am sorry to know this as it is such a great spot.   Our food arrives fairly quickly about (30 minutes or so), yesss...this is what I am talking about, some ackee, saltfish, cook dumpling, dasheen and banana, one of life's greatest pleasures, a Jamaican breakfast..hearty and filling.  I devour my meal, we attempt to feed Island Bwoy Jr. but finicky pickney dat one, he is happy slurping down his juice.    After the meal, Island Bwoy takes on some youts playing cricket while on am on photographer duty (I am the official photographer of all vacations and family occasions).    I am so happy to see how much fun he is having, he is enjoying himself so.  These are the little things that he misses living in the States impromptu game of cricket or soccer, a rousing game of dominos, life is so fast in the US, here in Jamaica, it is so much slower, while it can be a little too slow, it allows you to truly take time and relish life. 

As I said earlier, this is a beach day, our first beach day since our arrival, so after breakfast we go back to the hotel to hit the beach.  Our traveling companions are woke and ready to go so we gather our things and off we go.  It's still early, so it's not too crowded, we set up camp under a palapa.  As soon as Island Bwoy Jr. sees the sand, he starts kicking it around, he loves sand and everything about it, he even tries to eat it, his dad obliges him by burying him in it.  He doesn't seem to mind but now that he is free, he is a sandy to the ocean to clean off..he's not a fan of water, so daddy has to take him in (I can't swim, Dad's a former lifeguard).  They frolick in the water while lie back and watch.   What a life huh.  I don't swim (not that I don't want to can't) so I watch from the sidelines all the activities going on.  Out JA virgins are swimming in the sea, my husband is riding a jet ski, mi likkle pickney is running around in circles so fast I am afraid he will pass out from the hot sun beating directly on him.  I caution him to sit still but who am I kidding, he's two...what two year old that you know sits still???.  He is having a ball, so I enjoy watching him, while surveying the scene.

Island Bwoy wants me to join him on a jet ski ride....umm no!!!  He knows how I feel about water especialy jet skis.  He is persistent, I eventually give in, he wants me to share this experience with him and I love him, so ok I'll swallow my deep seated fears of drowning for him. LOL. I ask our friends to watch our son while we take a ride.  We walk down the beach to the guy we are renting from, I accept the lifevest from the operator, gingerly scoot on the the machine, wrap my arms as tight as I possibly can around my husband's waist and off we go.  At first it is not that bad but as we move further and further from the shore line, he decides to let it rip and give it some gas, this thing is a beast and Island Bwoy is riding him for all it's worth, he's loving it and I am quietly going insane.  I am frightened but refuse to show it although when we are riding over rough water, I ask him to slow down as I feel like I am going to slide right off the seat.  As the ride progresses, I relax some and begin to enjoy it, not enough to do it again but I can get through these last few minutes.  We start to move back to shore, I am ever so grateful this death ride is over!!!.  Now Island Bwoy wants to go parasailing, I have done this before, so I have no real apprehension, so we seal the deal with a bredren of his and wait for the boat to pick us up.  Again, I am not a fan of water sports, so anytime I am too far int he oacen, I become almost paralyzed with fear, we climb into the boat but I sit as low as I can while Island Bwoy sits as close to the bow as he can.  We pick up two more people, then head out deeper in the ocean.  We must switch to the craft that we will actually be parasailing from, all this switching boats is tedious for me, I just want to get up in the air, we harness up while waiting our turn, we are called up the platform and given instructions on what to do.  Within minutes we are pulled up then we are flying high in the sky, Island Bwoy is amazed at how high we are and how magnificent the view is, it is truly gorgeous the only thing that marrs that perfection is the constant grind of the harness that is holding us up in the air, we glide aimlessly like birds marveling at the handiwork of God.   All too soon it is time for us to come back, we feel the harness pulling us in towards the boat, we come zooming in really fast, our feet taking a dip in the ocean before we are pulled back up again then back down for our landing.  I instruct Island Bwoy to point his toes down as we are coming in, we are grinning from ear to ear....what a rush.  Of course we forgot to bring our camera with us however the couple who shared the ride with us offered to take our pictures and email them back to us. Thanks Chris and Ryan for your generosity  

We return from our adventure only to find our likkle one overtaken by a nap (i guess the effect of playing too hard) and we are hungry, so Island Bwoy adn our friend walk over to Norm's Yard Food to see what's on the menu today, we decide on jerk chicken and brown stew fish, after a few minutes we are tearing into steaming containers of food washed down with Red Stripes.  Junior wakes up finally but as usual he only wants to eat the meat, so I share my meal with him.  The requisite rain shower begins as a trickle then the skies open up and it pours, so we grab our stuff and make a run for it to our room.  God gave us the perfect reason to slow down and take a nap, so that is what we do.  A few hours pass by, when we wake it is late,hubby promised his cousin to pick her up from work, so he makes a mad dash to get her while I get myself and Junior dressed for dinner.   The sun has gone down, so we know dinner is calling, soon Island Bwoy returns, we check with our friends for dinner but they have eaten at Angela's already, so we head to Norm's for a quick bite.  Grilled lobster is calling my name, so that with mashed potoatoes is my order, the pickney gets his old faithful of french fries and chicken fingers and hubby tries the baby back ribs.  We people watch as we have drinks, an interesting exchange is taking place before our eyes....a couple at another table seem to be closing a deal so to speak (I know yall are smart so you catch my meaning) and it fun to watch.  Our meal arrives, it looks as good as it smells,we dig in.....delicious, in no time at all it is gone, we are sitting back like fat cats unable to move an inch. We pay the check, walk to our room and catch a movie on the tube before calling it a day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: