The Fish Story

Trip Start Dec 31, 2012
Trip End May 04, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
The Butterfly Conseratory

Flag of United States  , Florida
Thursday, February 28, 2013

A guest writer, Lisa, tells a tale...

While all of the Guays but one were abed, getting their much-needed "Beauty Rest," Rich and I set out on a fishing adventure. Our guide Bob met us on Cudjoe Key, and we followed him to a marina on Big Pine Key, where we launched the boat. The boat is a 16 ft Dolphin with a center console and open to all the elements. Soon after leaving the marina, the elements like rain & wind decided to make an appearance. After about half an hour, the rain tapered off and the fishing began...
Bob is a fishing guide, who practices catch and release "sight fishing".  He takes the boat into shallow water, lifts the boat's outdrive and uses a 20 foot metal pole to steer the boat where he wants. Bob showed us how to spot a fish feeding in shallow water by looking for a sickle-shaped tail sticking 6 to 12 inches out of the water . We were fishing at low tide in order to spot fish more easily and the cloudy conditions really made spotting a challenge! To add more challenge, we were fishing with spinning rods. Both Rich and I were woefully out of practice getting the bait to reach the intended target. We were fishing for a fish called a "Permit" that likes to eat live crabs, so the baby crab hooked to our line got to experience a few (several) practice casts. Bob mentioned that Rich was basically water boarding the crab, so we gave poor Crabby a rest and fished for tarpon awhile with artificial bait.  We went to several fishing holes trying for the elusive Permit, but the clouds and rising tide made spotting difficult. The rising tide made Bob's shark fishing hole accessible, so we motored there, stuck the 20 foot steering pole about 3 feet into the sandy bottom and tied the boat off to it.

We began chumming for shark with a sliced-up barracuda carcass roped to the side of the boat. Within about 15 minutes the sharks began to circle... Using a metal leader and metal hooks, Bob hooked up a small fillet of barracuda, let about 10 to 20 feet of line out into the water then gave Rich the pole. Rich had a big bite within 5 minutes, and fought the shark, which weighed about seventy pounds, for about 20 minutes of bicep-straining fun! It was about five feet in length. Bob used regular metal hooks so he could cut the metal leader and the hooks would rust out of the shark's mouth quickly. Next was my turn. I caught a lemon shark about eighty pounds and six feet in length. I fought it for about the same time, even though it felt like about 45 minutes to my arms. Rich and I both fought a few more sharks, then our arms were worn out and we headed for home. What a great day of fishing! 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Dennis on

Looks like you had a very nice day and thanks for giving us a break from Ralph. Ha!

Bonnie on

Wow what an experience. I must admit I think you are both crazy!

TJ on

Great to see some fishing success for the vacation. Very jealous, but if you caught a big dolphin (mahi mahi), I would be beside myself. Have fun Guys and Girls!

ferdie on

Now THAT sounds like FUN! Good job of getting it into print Lisa....I would have just loved that kind of fishin' adventure. I can only imagine the stain on the upper body with that kind of swirlin' poundage on the other end! Wondering what test line and all? I want to fish in the shallows for Bone fish someday with large streamers etc.! So glad you all have had this chance to get together! Hugs,

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: