Wyoming as in Windoming...

Trip Start Jan 09, 2012
Trip End Jun 04, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Curt Gowdy Campground Cheyenne
Read my review - 3/5 stars

Flag of United States  , Wyoming
Monday, May 28, 2012

The drive from Crow Valley got underway early.  It’s the earliest I’ve ever gotten on the road.  I wanted to avoid the “winds of the day”.  I took Hwy 71 north toward Wyoming without any guidance but my inner-compass.  I did have to stop and reconnoiter a bit to be sure I was moving on the correct course.  The compass in Shorty did help.  It’s about forty miles to the Wyoming border, on the rolling hills of the plains.

The winds were light as I approached and got on Interstate 80, turning west.  The drive then to Cheyenne was short. I checked for the location of a Safeway with gas and found it in no time.  I bought a few things in the store and then drove to the gas station.  The gal there was more than helpful.  We had “earned” four credits toward our gas rewards, so I got forty cents off per gallon.  The savings was $12.44... More than enough to cover what I had punched in the store.

I set the navigator for Curt Gowdy State Park and took off.  The drive seemed to be a bit short according to my memory of the route from the ‘net.  And, it was.  The Hussy took me to a residential area of scattered homes, but no park.  I opened another app, Camp and RV and got back on course.  It was another eleven miles before I reached Curt Gowdy.  I  checked in and paid for four nights of camping.

There are numerous sites here, some in the wide open spaces and some out of the wind, near the two lakes.  I found a campground, Twin Bays, and called the Ranger to see if there was a bike trail nearby.  No, he stated, but I could follow the road to Aspen Grove and find a good one.  I’m located in site TB-123.  Almost as simple as ABC.  The site is one of five in a newly remodeled area.  It’s fairly level here and quiet.  I can see a bit of one of the bays out of my north windows.  The lake is the Granite Reservoir, one of two which provide water for Cheyenne.  The other is named Crystal Reservoir.  Deep and clear with trout swimming therein.  No swimming or dogs allowed in this “pristine” drinking water”. Apparently the fish are clean and take care of their “personal needs” on land.  Go figure... 

The sun was shining and the wind was, well, wind.  I got one good “shake” and knew I was in Wyoming.  Wind, Yes, Often, Mostly It’s Nasty. Great!  My version of a state motto...  You have any others?

I settled in and lunched.  A trailer moved in next door and I met Victor and Debbie.  They come here often from Laramie, only twenty minutes to the west. They said that there’s a trail right here and runs for miles.  They had to work, so I offered to keep an eye on their house until their return on Friday.

I took a walk on the trail and got a few shots of the area.  There were several fishermen on the shore wearing winter clothing.  I felt remotely out of place in my shorts, sandals and straw hat.  Nobody said anything about it though.  Friendly folks, these Wyomingians.

The wind ebbed and flowed throughout the afternoon and settled down by dark.  There are only four rigs inhabited, so the evening was quiet, accompanied by the low drone of three generators.

I have sporadically good communication here, with spotty phone contact.  Put the phone on the dash and it works well, mostly.  

It got down to thirty-seven degrees last night, and was foggy over the water when I first saw it.  No sunrise visible.  In fact, now, at ten AM the fog has lifted and I can see across the bay, but the sun has apparently taken a sabbatical.

It it gets to fifty plus degrees, I’ll do a bit of Geocaching.  It’s been too long and I’m craving for a bit of unique adventure.  We will see.

More later, perhaps, if things work out.Yesterday was a cloudy, cool and windy day, which was well suited for reading and such.  I stayed in the coach and did just that.  My neighbors spent the evening by their fire.  There was one guy, the yellow-jacketed, loudtalker, who seemed to entertain the group.  I didn’t much appreciate his language though.  He used a lot of expressions I’d heard in the military and don’t appreciate much at all.  By ten o’clock, however, all of the generators ceased generating and the conversation got much quieter.  Good, I say.  The night was quiet and peaceful. 
I awoke to calm winds and a sunny sky with about 45 degrees.  After talking with Lynn and calling a couple of friends from the program, I set out on my first bike ride.  There’s a trail that starts close by, so I took it.  I noticed that it’s made up of decomposed granite sand and didn’t pay much attention to how slick it was on the corners...until I was in the middle of a tight right-hander and fell.  I just sort of slipped and landed on my wallet.  Of course, that meant that my right calf made contact too.  Now I have a nice tan, mixed with nice little scabs the shape of the trail surface.  I rode even more slowly from then on.  I followed the trail until it got pretty steep and then got on the road to Crystal Reservoir.  The road had been recently bladed and was smooth.  There was really no traffic at all, which made it nice.  I got a few pictures with the phone, which I will include.  The service here is slow, so these postings will have to wait until I get closer to a town or such.

I guess that I didn’t realize that the altitude would affect me so much.  On the ride back, I had to walk the bike for awhile and let my breathing and heart catch up with me.  The total trip was under three miles.  At 7200+ feet above sea-level, I reckon that’s a good start.

I got back to camp and just sat and read outside until I felt better.  It took a couple of hours and I was ready to go again.  I had lunch and took off, on foot, to find a Geo-cache nearby.  It’s located in the “steeps”, so I hiked slowly and found the spot.  It’s apparently located near a large granite boulder.  I searched all of the hidey holes, but never did find it.  I believe that it may have fallen down the steep slope as it had before, according to what I read on Geocaching.com.  The walk was nice, though, helping me to acclimatize myself to the altitude.  There are lots of high places ahead of me, so it did me good.

I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and playing the guitar and listening to the ever-present “breeze”.  It’s pretty calm now at six-thirty in the eve.  The neighbors are gathering wood for their fire and the “loud talker” is apparently practicing his vocabulary words to himself, since I can’t hear him.  The generator running does help, though.

More later...

 Later...Yesterday, Sunday, I got out on the bike, on the trail that I had explored on foot the day before.  I took my time, as best that I could.  It’s part of the Shoreline Trail and runs for miles.  The corners, as usual, are slippery from the granite sand, but I didn’t pick up any more scarful memories to carry along back home.

The day was cool, never getting warmer than the sixties.  I spent most of the time in the coach.  My neighbors, Victor and Debbie, left sometime while I was restin’ my eyes.  

For dinner I had an omelet. It’s been a long time since I’ve had one.  I used some egg-substitute from Safeway.  They seem to keep better and don’t take up as much space.  I added cubed, marinated chicken, chopped tomatoes, chopped stuffed olives and garlic.  Man, I just remembered that I forgot the cheese!  Maybe next time...

In the evening, about eight, the wind started.  It’s the strongest I’ve experienced in the coach.  We rocked and rolled all night and it’s still workin’ us over as I type, at nine AM.  I’m staying an extra night here, since it’s supposed to calm down tomorrow.  My course will be set for Rawlins, WY.  I’ll spend two nights there to do laundry and such.  A friend from the past, Bill, was born and lived there as a youngster.  I’ll see what he had to put up with...

It looks like the Montana WX has been crazy too.  I surely do not miss the snow, but would surely like to see less wind here.  Dream on.

Due to the high wind warnings, I have to spend another night here and set out early tomorrow to avoid too much excitement.  I feel like that guy singin' about Lodi...
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


jerry on

I did NOT look twice

photodon on

Ouch! I got one, too, but no pictures. Nice to see you back online. I've been in Internet limbo for a coupla weeks. Nice pixes. (except for the scabby one)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: