Lynn Goes Fishin'...

Trip Start Jun 04, 2011
Trip End Oct 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
At the mouth of the Columbia River
What I did
Lynn went fishing...

Flag of United States  , Washington
Saturday, July 23, 2011

Lynn arose today at five-forty-five to get ready.  The left for the dock at six-thirty, while I slept.  Lynn, Rich and Lisa, and Angie were on board to do some bottom fishing.

Per Lynn, their aim was to be on the water at seven.  The first of order of business was to get gas; unfortunately the gas station on the water didn't open until eight.  I was closer to nine when they got to the jetty where they wanted to fish.  Rich wanted to get close to the jetty where the water was only about fifteen feet deep and the fish were numerous.  They each had a pole, but Rich was in the helper-mode for the fisherman and was keeping the boat in a good position.  They had their best luck during the first hour and a half.  They tried their luck at several different points along the jetty.  Several boats were in the area, so Rich had to keep jockeying for position.

The trick is to let the lure hit bottom and then reel in a bit to just clear it. Then you "jig". By jigging is meant to keep bouncing your pole in order to make the plastic "worm" look like a small fish and entice the fish to strike. Oftentimes the lure gets caught in the rocky bottom and you lose it.  The crew caught about ten "keepers", including both ling cod and cabazon.

On return, Rich had the honor of cleaning, filleting and cutting up the fish, which, to me anyway, was an interesting process.  The photos will give you some idea of the process.  As a trout fisherman from years past, this was all new to me.  He filleted, skinned and bone these beauties and prepared them for tonight's dinner.  They, along with fresh oysters will be the feature... Lynn will be adding Huckleberry Buckle as a fine desert.  Oh, and don't forget the whipped cream to top it all off.  All in all, Lynn had a great time and is very thankful for all of Rich and Lisa's help in maintaining her outfit and showing her the ropes. 

Tomorrow, we're off to Astoria, Oregon, just across the river, for breakfast and to attend the market downtown.  Stay tuned for the excitement of our meanderings.  

The meal was great!  We started of with a raw oyster with cocktail sauce and a bit of wasabi.  Not bad... then came the barbecued oysters in butter, garlic powder and a type of Mexican cheese.  The main course consisted of lemon pepper marinated cod with a green salad and bread.  Our friend Bryan brought over some breaded green ling.  Spicy and tasty.  I ate more than usual and paid for it later.  Live and learn seems to fit my life more and more.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Pete on

It's always fun to catch fish. Looks like you all had a great day.

Mary C. on

Lynn....That sounds really fun...all except the four forty-five a.m. part but for a delicious dinner maybe it was worth it. Cool adventure/experience to add to your life portfolio.

mnoble61 on

So how come Ralphie boy didn't go for this experience-must have been he was waiting to catch the really big fish. So how did the fish taste? Your fishing trip reminded me of a song which I will attach (for Lynn) to an email.....

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: