Sorry I'm Late...

Trip Start Dec 24, 2010
Trip End Jun 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Virginia
Monday, April 18, 2011

We had plans for today, but they were not to be.  I had tried to get reservations for Monticello last night, but the website required that the transaction be completed in SIX minutes or the data was lost.  What with the poorest of wifi encountered on the trip, I tried twice to no avail.  Put that one on the bucket list for another day.  We were disappointed, but decided to buck up and move on.

We decided to forego the balloon ride and headed out relatively early to see Shenandoah National Park.  It’s not far from the KOA.  We got to Waynesboro in just over an hour and got fuel for Shorty.  We managed to find gas for $3.65 a gallon.  This is the best price we’ve found in quite a while.  We then headed for our second National Park on our trip.  Big Bend NP was a great experience, so we hoped that Shenandoah would be it’s equal.

The park had a fee-free day, which only happens twice a year, I believe.  Since we were at the highest elevation we’ve experienced in a few months, spring was barely in evidence.  It was a stark drive along the curvy and rolling hilled roads here.  We encountered few vehicles going our way, but a good bit of road construction.  We “cruised” at about thirty miles an hour, the speed limit being thirty-five.  Oh, I forgot to mention that we have frequently seen signs that read “Speed Limit Enforced by Aircraft”.  Hmmm, I’m think’ that a Warthog might just be the right aircraft to do that well.  

Anyway, the trip elapsed slowly.  We pulled over several times at Overlooks and took a few photos.  I did one video at Bacon Gap Overlook after lunch.  I also got one decent photo of an old dogwood tree in early bloom.  It still retained the light green of early blooms, but was a beautiful tree.

We reached Big Meadows Campground in good time.  It took us a good while to pick out a campsite as there are about three hundred there.  We found a relatively love place and walked back to the Office to sign up.  With the Geezer Pass, we paid only $8.50.  There are no hook-ups here, so we did a bit of Boondocking, or dry camping, as it is called.  We have water on board and the generator, so we really didn’t suffer any hardship.

We went to hike the trail to the Dark Hollow Waterfall trail, but couldn’t even get a parking place!  Lots of folks here, perhaps due to it being Easter week with the kids out of school.. We went back to the store and Visitors Center to get acquainted with the area.  Unfortunately, there were problems with the media presentation, so no videos were being shown.  We did walk around a learn a bit about the park.  In the nineteen twenties, the park was first proposed as an “Eastern National Park like the Western Parks”, or something similar.  Several families and even small communities lived on the proposed park land, so they had to be moved.  It took about ten years to move them out and relocate them.  It also required at least two law suits that went on to the supreme court to get the job done.  A sad situation that still irritates some folks.
After spending some time in the learning mode, Lynnie suggested that we go back to the falls trail and see if we could do the hike.  We found a parking space and set out.  It’s a very steep trail, purportedly only one point five miles in length.  It’s rocky and muddy and makes one keep a steady eye on where one puts his feet.  It’s a beautiful hike, with the rushing waters in view and the steadily increasing sound of the waters.  We encountered many folks enroute and finally got to where I could do a short video of the falls.  It was worth the effort.  It took us nearly half an hour to make the climb back to the parking lot.  In summer, when the trees are leafed-out, I’d imagine it’s even more beautiful.  We saw little sunshine today, but appreciated it more…  It got to about seventy degrees with a steady wind.

We had dinner and played cards with Lynnie beating me for the fourth night in a row… In spite of my best efforts, she has the luck of the Irish! Nothing new there, for sure.  We warmed the coach before her bed time and I stayed up reading, wrapped in a nice warm blanket.  A quiet and peaceful night ensued.  It got down only to about fifty-eight degrees and a few degrees warmer inside.  At about eight A.M. I started the generator and the furnace to prepare the coach for the beginning of our day.  And the toaster of course… got to have the toast, peanut butter and jam to get a good start on the day.

Our plans for today are undecided at this point, but I’ll be back later to fill you in.  With no internet or phone service here, we’ll have to wait to put this up on the Blog Site.
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: