Tybee Island Light Station

Trip Start Dec 24, 2010
Trip End Jun 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Georgia
Monday, March 21, 2011

We started the day by deciding to change our site.  Not far from where we were is a real beauty.  It was occupied when we arrived here by some weekenders, but they left and it's open to us.  In the process we drove Shorty over to the Dump Station, where we dumped both tanks and emptied our garbage.  That's when the trouble began..... Biting Gnats!  These little bug(gers) are new to us and have made a definite impression on us both.  The are "no-see-ums" if you know what that is.  Tiny little fliers that can pass through screens and do their nasty job.  We had none at camp, but picked them up at the Dump Station and transported them right along with us.  Fortunately, we have some insect repellant that does a good job.

We then set out to do one of Lynnie's favorite things, tour a lighthouse.  There's one on Tybee Island, about fifteen miles from here.  It is the third one built on the site, the existing structure dates from prior to the "Civil" War.  The fresnel lens was installed in 1867 and used a thousand watt light for illumination.  The grounds are intact and have been remarkably restored.  The lightkeeper's home was in shambles when abandoned by the U.S. Coast Guard, but has been beautifully restored and holds furniture and accessories of the period that it was occupied.  My favorite room was the kitchen and I have added a few photos of that room.  It utilized a cistern for water storage and it's located in the basement area.  

We then climbed the one hundred and seventy six stairs to the top of the lighthouse itself.  Going up wasn't so bad, since we both are in decent shape a do a lot of walking.  The view from the top, which is a windy spot, was great.  I've included two videos from there, the second of which is difficult to hear due to the wind noise.  My apologies for that.  It's the tallest lighthouse in Georgia and one of the few that is open to the public.  We had a great time there.  We took a few minutes to visit the simple museum and watch a short video about the area.  All in all it's a fun place to visit.  Oh, coming down the multitudinous stairs? Not easy.  It didn't take me long to realize how much it affected my quads.  Much like running hills or running a long race.  Fatigue was the word my muscles screamed at me.  It wasn't long though before they recovered, but I can still feel it.  A great memory that I'll probably have for a few days.

And then we moved on to Fort Pulaski...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: