Mardi Gras 2011

Trip Start Dec 24, 2010
Trip End Jun 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Jude Travel Park

Flag of United States  , Louisiana
Saturday, March 5, 2011

An interesting day to be sure!  We had rain off and on all night, but it looked as if it was going to clear off today.  Our host, Kevin, told us where to go to park and attend the parade today.  We used the Navigator and got to Josephine Street, just a few blocks from St. Charles Avenue, the parade route.  Today's parade was the Tucks Parade.  It's named after a now defunct pub known as Friar Tuck's and is well-known for it's "throws", or gifts of beads etc. which the float folks throw to the on-lookers.  As you'll see from the photos, we got a lot of stuff today, including one small toilet.  Since a couple from Dallas, whom we met, had already gotten a toilet plunger, we gifted them with the toilet.  It only seemed fair.  

The parade was truly a blast.  So many bands and such great ones, at that.  Many were highschool bands and very good both in music and uniform.  I made a few videos so you can get some idea of how it was.  We watched for about an hour and a half and then broke to have some lunch.  We went to the Trolley Stop, a cafe about a hundred feet from where we were watching.  It had started to rain lightly, so it seemed prudent to go inside.

Lynnie had some delicious seafood gumbo with a house salad and I had a hot sausage on a bun with an order of fries.  The food was great.  While we were innocently eating, did it RAIN?  There had been a tornado watch, a lightning watch and a cloud burst watch on the phone and all but the tornado came to pass.  It had to have rained better than an inch while we ate.  The parade caught the end of this monsoon, but we waited until it had subsided a bit to walk the few blocks to the Sooby.  THAT was an experience for sure!  The rain water was in puddles that were over the curb in some places.  I had thoughtfully worn my water sandals, so it wasn't a big deal to me.  Lynnie tried to walk in shallower areas, to no avail.  She got wet in spite of her plan.  When we got to the Sooby, we found it in a minor lake with water well over the curb and sitting all alone and with a sad look on it's grill.  I backed the car up to where Lynnie could get in without too much of a flood in her shoes and off we went.  The trip back was in steady rain, but we made it home.  I had left two of the roof vents open just a tad, but apparently it had rained heavily at the park too.  The floor was a little wet in the living room and bath.  Both areas were easily mopped up.  It's still raining fairly hard and steadily, even though we've been back for nearly two hours.  This'll blow over... a old remark I've heard far too often.  All in all it was a great day.  Tomorrow we plan on going in to the French Quarter and exploring, as we are wont to do.  Thanks for checking in and Happy Mardi Gras.  We're happy.  Damp, but happy!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: