Street selling begins

Trip Start Sep 03, 2010
Trip End Oct 27, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Morocco  , Guelmim-Es Smara,
Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The actual road to Tan-Tan from sidi wassay was long. The difficult part was driving at night, a real nightmare since we were now far south and the further we go, the more remote and deserted things will seem. There were many trucks on the road and especially the mountainous bit was hair-raising in the dark. For the first time in years i drove white-knuckled with both hands. Almost every time a big truck drove past they would flash their lights at us.. why?

We did lots of overtaking but experienced a fair bit as well. Here people flash twice behind you just before overtaking and many big trucks take their chances freely.
On one way up one hill in the dark i could see in many parts where the crash barriers had bits missing where some unlucky cars had fallen down the hill. There was also a heavy amount of police checks everywhere. Pretty much in every town we passed. The tourists seemed to get untouched by this although we got stopped at the entrance to Tan-Tan main town. They controlled our passports slowly and asked stupid questions in a way to intimidate a bit but its harmless and they are friendly.
We arrive late but manage to get separate rooms each for 50Dh in an old hotel, possibly from the 60s and built to be a nice tourist resort but had since crumbled. There was no hot water and the receptionist tried to rip us off once again which he failed in doing so.

Next day its off early after some Moroccan breakfast (without olives but tomato instead) in the small town centre of Tan-Tan plage. Jay insisted on having some English tea and brought a PG tips tea bag. It turned out good since normally tea water is made from tap water. In remote place like this water is sometimes transported or makes a very long journey through old pipes and acquires a nasty, salty taste.

After breakfast we conduct an interesting human experiment. We take out a single TV and simply plonk it on the sidewalk. Suddenly locals come swarming from all over and flock around the car like zombies. Street selling begins!

 I try to help Jay as much as i can but soon am overwhelmed by too many requests. I also try to get a quick shot of the whole frenzy with my camera but there are some aggressive protests so i have to put the camera away. All i can do is soak up whats going on while helping unload items, answer stupid questions and keeping an eye on the stuff. It gets real dramatic as they've all become like hectic animals in a feeding frenzy. This goes on for ages and although we take a short break while taking a walk to the beach and chill-out at a small cafe we are soon caught up by a small army of followers and soon the word spreads again like wildfire... stressful!

When we finally do manage to shake many off we have to make many false promises that we will be back in 30mins or so or else leaving is impossible. Probably have people clinging onto the cars crying for more..

Leave town at 6pm
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: