The Hills are Alive!
Trip Start May 24, 2011
41Trip End Jul 12, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Surprisingly, The Sound of Music is not popular here. Honestly. I am not kidding you! You would think after 46 years, Salzburg would understand how celebrated the film is around the world. But, you'd be wrong. Here, The Sound of Music was actually overshadowed by a film that came out years before in Germany called The Trapp Family. I've never even heard of it, but I will definitely be seeing when I return to the States. And the actual phrase The Sound of Music apparently cannot be properly translated into German so the film was called My Song, My Dreams in German
The tour guide, Gary, was great and I even got him to put on certain songs and got the bus singing along. There were plenty of old people who just shared their wonderful stories with me. One woman had seen the tour in '76 and was back again for a second time!! I would LOVE to do
that eventually! And at the end of the tour, the woman seated next to me wished me luck on the rest of my travels and said that I had a "beautiful voice" and that I made the tour "quite the experience". That just melted my heart! <3
So, some other known facts (that I knew prior to the trip, but that you probably don't... ;) about the film)
- The actual stage play of The Sound of Music came before the film with Mary Martin as Maria (though I prefer Julie Andrews).
- Filming only took a year and though lots of scenes were filmed in Austria, many scenes were reproduced in Hollywood such as the scenes inside the von Trapp residence and even inside the gazebo (read the picture caption).
- There were seven original von Trapp children (though with different names than in the film) and after Georg & Maria's marriage, three more children were added to the family.
- After escaping from Austria, the von Trapp family moved to Vermont where they joined the hotel business and opened a ski lodge. They also formed the Trapp Family Singers and toured throughout the U.S. *Adding that to my destination list :)
- In the beginning of the film, Maria runs from the hills to the abbey when she hears the church bells. In Salzburg, the abbey and the hills are 25 miles apart, so she must be a speed demon in order to get there that quickly in the film... ;)